Radiator drain plug leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator drain plug leak

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
falco84
1997 ZJ 

Radiator drain plug leak

Just noticed coolant coming out from the radiator drain plug. Tried tightening it, but the bolt just keeps on spinning (is it supposed to do that?), and the coolant continues to leak out slowly. How can I fix this?

falco84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falco84 View Post
Just noticed coolant coming out from the radiator drain plug. Tried tightening it, but the bolt just keeps on spinning (is it supposed to do that?), and the coolant continues to leak out slowly. How can I fix this?

slip a piece of hose over it clamp it on the drain the stick a bolt in the end of tube problem solved
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Josh, I like the way you think, that is a very good idea for a fix ...

I, like you, think that the leak is coming out the outlet hole, but it does bother me the he said that the bolt seems to just spin without tightening, but if it was me, I would try your fix first ...

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Sandy R
1995 ZJ 

Replacements are not expensive.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited
Sandy R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
Replacements are not expensive.
either is tubing and bolt
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
falco84
1997 ZJ 

That's a good temp fix with the tubing. I may have to go with that until I flush the system and have a chance to take a better look at the plug.

I've never taken out the drain plug, so I am not sure what's there and what needs to be replaced. I hope the thread in the radiator is not stripped.
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

And you do not have to drain the fluid ...

If the hose worked, then I would use it until I went to replace the fluid and then do the repair ...

But really, knowing me, if the hose worked, then I would just go by the old adage of " If it ain't broke don't fix it" ...
Unread 05-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Also, you may not need the clamp. Just the hose and the plug/bolt may fix it ...

And it poises an interesting question to me ??? Would rad. pressure be involved or would be more like a drip???

I'm thinking drip and just for my own education, I would go without the clamp, just to see how that worked ...

Also, when you go to do a fix, buy a can of the cheapest ether/starting fluid that you can find and spray down all that wet area and it will give you a clean playing field, for when you look back at it again, to see if it is fixed .

Make sure to get the cheap stuff, because it does not have upper end lubricant in it, and you want it clean not with a oily residue on it .

I love ether/starting fluid and have used it many a time when working on nasty stuff ...
Unread 05-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
I love ether/starting fluid and have used it many a time when working on nasty stuff ...
Sounds like you use it a closed area haha
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
Unread 05-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Just no smoking...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #11
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

The truth be told here guys ... The smoking works just fine for me thank you very much ...
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
falco84
1997 ZJ 

Well, it turned out that the coolant was coming out from more than just the drain plug. That entire corner was leaking, so I had the radiator replaced with a new one. The entire bottom half of the original had disintegrated after 250,000km.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.