Radiator Drain Plug? Coolant wont drain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator Drain Plug? Coolant wont drain

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 03-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
epfriis

Radiator Drain Plug? Coolant wont drain

I have a new thermostat that im trying to install. I have the Haynes manual and it says the open the radiator drain plug on the bottom right of the tank. It seems to only turn 90 deg, and nothing comes out. Thinking maybe it needs a vent up top, I took off the radiator cap-still nothing. Can someone please tell me how to drain this coolant enough to install this thing. Im trying to avoid taking off the lower hose.

Poweraide Throttle Body Spacer
Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks
Hypertech Tuning[/CENTER]
epfriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

Valve

I just replaced the water pump on my I-6 this last week. And I don't remember the exact events, but basically I pulled the little drain hose from the clip and turned the valve (which started a little flow for me) but it seems like you can work the valve out of the radiator a little bit, and that allowed it to drain better. I guess you could also just remove the thermostat housing as is and replace the thermostat. I believe that you will lose coolant out of there regardless of whether or not you drain antifreeze from your radiator.
I replaced my thermostat also, even though I didn't know if the old one was functioning properly or not. I test both the old and a new one in hot water on the stove and neither of them responded the way that they should have. (according to service manual specs)

P.s. what made you decide you needed a new one? What symptoms?
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Turns 90 degrees then pulls out - pull hard. Channel locks work well.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites
Turns 90 degrees then pulls out - pull hard. Channel locks work well.
Agreed... Put your back into it.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.