Radiator Drain Plug - 4.7L WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator Drain Plug - 4.7L WJ

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
thoscos

Radiator Drain Plug - 4.7L WJ

Hi all,

I have read through a lot of the the old threads but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I flushed my cooling system today. I started by turning the drain plug. Its only turns 1/4 turn and no fluid comes out ... Ended up just pulling the bottom radiator hose. So how does that drain really work? does it pop out or something? I cant remember if it was turned to clockwise or counter clockwise to begin with. My concern is that I may have it turned the wrong way and it may pop out or start draining while I'm driving.

Does turning it clockwise or counter clockwise lock it in place/closed??

Thanks

Unread 01-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
jeremy18
1999 WJ 

It turns a fourth a turn or a half cant remember exactly but then you should be able to pull it out. ITs kinda of a plastic cork lol
4.7L V8,20x10 Wheels,33/12.50/R20 Nitto Muddgraplers,6.5" IRO Long Arm Kit,Flowmaster 50 SUV Series Exhaust,4 10" Memphis M3 Sub's In Slot and Port Box,2000 watt Memphis Bell Amp,300 Amp Alterantor,Memphis Amp Kit,5% Tint All The Way Around,Black Projector Lights,Black Projector Fog Lights
jeremy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
thoscos

Jeremy18,

Thanks for the reply. That helps for the next time I need to drain the radiator.

Which way do you turn it to lock it in place?

Thanks
Unread 01-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I have tried to remove that damn plug on 2 different Jeeps/motors. I never got coolant to come out.
I gave up and pulled the hose as you did.

I think they overdid the draincocks. Its obviously designed for rocket scientists.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

if your talking about the petcock valve with fill nipple, just twist counter clockwise wile pulling out to make it release fluid (pulling out after the twise is what allows water through), then opposite to close it back up. I broke mine =/
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
jeremy18
1999 WJ 

Yea after a small turn counter clockwise it will stop turning after that just pull it off. Dont get burned. Cause that fluid is hot. Use some pilers works best
4.7L V8,20x10 Wheels,33/12.50/R20 Nitto Muddgraplers,6.5" IRO Long Arm Kit,Flowmaster 50 SUV Series Exhaust,4 10" Memphis M3 Sub's In Slot and Port Box,2000 watt Memphis Bell Amp,300 Amp Alterantor,Memphis Amp Kit,5% Tint All The Way Around,Black Projector Lights,Black Projector Fog Lights
jeremy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
thoscos

Quote:
Its obviously designed for rocket scientists.

I'll check to see if its turned clockwise to make sure its closed.

Thanks,

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.