Radiator Drain Plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator Drain Plug

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
hgoodwiniii

Radiator Drain Plug

Hi all, appears my radiator drain plug is leaking on my 97 Grand Cherokee. The leak appears to be out of the drain hole. I bought a new plug from the dealership and I'm trying to figure out how tight to tighten it when I install it. There is a hole on the shaft that sits inside the radiator on the drain plug. Seems to me if I tighten the shaft to much and the hole on the shaft sits further inside the radiator, the radiator fluid would be free to flow out the outlet hole?

hgoodwiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Nejeep

Just replaced the entire radiator on the 97 last month, so I had a chance to inspect it closely. It turned out to have a leaking seam.

You thread the drain plug into the radiator till it bottoms out on the shoulder next to the hex wrench fitting. The sealing is done by the little o-ring on the internal end of the drain valve not the shoulder part. When the valve is tightened it slides the o-ring into a sleeve inside the radiator tank which prevents flow from the tank into the valve drain hole between the o-ring and threads. When you loosen the valve, the o-ring is moved out past the sleeve and it allows coolant to flow from the tank past the o-ring to the valve drain hole.

I expect these common drain valve drip problems could be solved by replacing just the o-ring, but its easier to get a complete valve assembly.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
hgoodwiniii

Thanks very much Nejeep. I installed the new drain plug and leak seems to have stopped. The O-ring on the old drain plug was pretty flat so I'm assuming that had worn down.
hgoodwiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just changed my drain plug today and a lot of smutz came out. Looks like I will be flushing it soon. It looked like the leak was coming from the plug but now I think it's below that where the corner of the rad sits. Looking for another one at the JY tomorrow and a trans cooler.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
...and a lot of smutz came out.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
I know I know, you'd think I was talking about a shiksa. I realized I should have not confused smutz with schmutz, which is what I meant.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Let me activate the jeep forum translator..........
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

So if your shiksa is into smut, then she'd be a schmutzy shicksa eh?

BTW those cheap plastic drain plugs usually leak if you reuse them, I found that it was best to buy a new one when I changed the antifreeze.
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.