Radiator drain petcock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator drain petcock

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
HardStepper

Radiator drain petcock

Hi guys,
i was driving today and in the parking lot of a store found out that my 1995 GC V8 was leaking coolant. Drove back home and visually checked radiator and i suspect that the leaking part would be drain petcock. It's still too hot under the hood, so i came to this forum to ask about the problem.
Might the petcock be broken or just needs tightening? Or if it's broken, how to remove it, does the procedure need any special tools? Allen key?
Ok, thanks.

HardStepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
Stocker

If the petcock is leaking, that's more than they usually do when you try to drain the coolant through them! Terrible design - when it's cool enough, you should be able to turn it by hand if it just needs tightening a bit. I understand some guys just remove it (just keep loosening until it comes out) and replace it with one that actually works. When draining coolant, it's easier to remove the lower hose than to wait a few weeks for it to drain through the petcock.
Unread 09-05-2004, 08:27 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If you haven’t changed your fluid in the last 30K, then now’s the time. Throw out that draincock and replace it with a “Help” part (pn# 61126) Do not use tap water with the coolant. Buy de-ionized water at the grocery store.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
HardStepper

Thanks guys,
i was searching the net for Help petcock, but could not find any. Any hints, where to get one?
I was wondering, how to clean the radiator itself. The lower front side is clogged with dirt and grease. Should i use any cleaning solutions to get it off or wire brush or something?
HardStepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2004, 11:37 AM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardStepper
Thanks guys,
i was searching the net for Help petcock, but could not find any. Any hints, where to get one?
I was wondering, how to clean the radiator itself. The lower front side is clogged with dirt and grease. Should i use any cleaning solutions to get it off or wire brush or something?

At the autoparts store, such as NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc., there is a section with odds and ends repair pieces such as window cranks, drain plugs, body clips, nuts, bolts, radio knobs, and just about every thing you can think of that breaks or snaps off your car. These parts are on red cards that say "Help" in big white letters. They cover just about every car made, so you really need to be sure of what your are getting. Grease has saved you at least 30 minutes research by providing the part number you need.

Don't use anything stiffer than a nylon brush to clean your radiator, it is only soldered together and the fins are fairly fragile. To clean grease, the best option is to use a strong solution of dishwashing liquid. Mix it up in a bucket and get in there with your nylon brush. A strong jet from your garden hose will do well for rinsing.

HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.