Radiator coolant leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator coolant leak

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani

Unread 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
-HH-Racer
1996 ZJ 

Radiator coolant leak

If your looking at the front of the jeep, the bottum right is dripping collant when it hits operating tempeture, it always has dripped coolant, but at a low low speed, low enough for it not to be a problem, i would just add coolant every 2 weeks, but i just hit a fence, only at like 3 mph and it made the leak worse, its a constant drip now at operating temp, i see where it drips, its just on the left of the part that attaches the radiator in on the bottum right... Is it possible to seal the leaking area with some sort of substance? Or any other way i can fix this without having to get a whole new radiator?

-HH-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
bigdog101

Pics? You've confirmed it's the rad and not the lower hose, or the water pump seeping down the lower hose?
bigdog101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
-HH-Racer
1996 ZJ 

Sec let me see if i can get some light on it for some pics
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
-HH-Racer
1996 ZJ 

Looks like a pretty big gash

Edit: actually thats just metal housing for the hose, soo its gotta be torn inside there right if thats where its dripping
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
bigdog101

Hard to tell, and just saw you have the v8. I'm used the the l6. Did you have a mystery coolant loss for awhile? No spotting or leaks, but definitely adding coolant regularly?
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
-HH-Racer
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog101
Hard to tell, and just saw you have the v8. I'm used the the l6. Did you have a mystery coolant loss for awhile? No spotting or leaks, but definitely adding coolant regularly?
Yeah its always been dripping really slowly from that area for awhile, its never been a big enough problem to give it priority to fix, i would just add coolant when low, but i just hit a fence and now it leaks so fast, a full tank of coolant will prob be gone in 10 miles now.

P.s. How can you tell i have a v8?
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
bigdog101

Either it's gouged or nasty rotted out. When mine finally gave away to rot it was physically leaking.
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
-HH-Racer
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog101
Either it's gouged or nasty rotted out. When mine finally gave away to rot it was physically leaking.
What do u recommend on fixxing it? Could i just rehose it? Simple as that?
Unread 07-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
bigdog101

If you have a cooling system pressure checker you can remove whatever shrouds are in the way and see what specifically is leaking. Rad isn't that hard to do.
Unread 07-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

I think its the seal between the rad and the plastic rad tank its common for the plastic tanks to start leaking on any rad with the plastic tanks... If i was working on a car and seen a leak like that and in the area of the plastic tank i would just change the rad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.