Rad drain plug fell out...new one doesn't thread? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rad drain plug fell out...new one doesn't thread?

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 11-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rad drain plug fell out...new one doesn't thread?

I've tried my best with the search, but I think I'd better ask before I pull the radiator for possibly no reason.
After driving to the store the other day, when I shut the engine off all the fluid drained out of the radiator in the parking lot. I thought it was the water pump bearings...so I replaced the pump. The old pump unfortunately looked good. When I refilled the Rad, the coolant went straight out the hole where I assume the drain plug would be. So, I bought a drain plug. When I try to thread the plug in it seems to spin as if it is threading into a bolt that is free. I don't see any type of "petcock" assembly on the radiator near the plug hole. The plug now will move in and out, but not all the way out. It will turn, but does not tighten....I'm not sure what to do short of pulling the rad to inspect. The rad looks good from what I can see and the coolant runs clean with no sediment/rust etc. This is on a 1994 with 4.0 and 2wd. The side tank appears to be plastic. Any help would be appreciated. Worried about the apartment people catching on to my shade tree wrenching...

SuperDave94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
KJK
1998 ZJ 

When working correctly, it should go in and turn 1/4 turn and then lock into place on 2 little nubs in the radiator. If these little nubs have broken off, then the plug will just turn freely and never hold.
When this happened to me on my stock radiator, the plug would seal just not hold in place so I drilled a small hole in the part of the plug where you turn it with your hand, I then put a plastic zip-tie through the hole and secured it around the short drain tube that is pointing straight down under the plug. This held the plug in place fine. The cooling system pressure is not enough to break the zip-tie and blow out the plug.
This worked great for me for months until I bought a new radiator.
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the response. I think I've figured it out. Apparently there is a specific drain plug for the 1994 with 4.0 engine. There is another for the 94-98 with 5.2 or 5.9 engine....and yet another for the (this is the good part) 93,....95-96 with 4.0 engine.

So: Parts

94-98 with V8 are #4644269
1993 with 4.0 #4546100 (Dorman brand)
1995-1996 4.0 #4546100 (same part)
1994 with 4.0 #4773259

So the parts store sold me the wrong part and many parts vendors list the wrong part for the 1994 model....conspiracy
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's trickier than that. Replacement radiators are not guaranteed to have the same drain plug as the factory.

Worst case, you'll need to bring your radiator to the store to try plugs.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

^ that's for sure and I've never seen a new rad that didn't have it's own size/diameter drain plug where you couldn't get your OE petcock/draincock to fit.

On my 96 4.0 OE rad the petcock was behind the grill on the passenger side. It was threaded and there were 2 little tabs on the inside end but all they did was hold it in preventing it from falling out if unscrewed too far. I pulled it out a couple times since the little tabs flex and then put it back in. But you had to push it in kind of hard to have the tabs go into the internal part of the rad and start the threads. Not sure if this is the same type of petcock or not?

SuperDave, your part numbers are the same as the ones in my parts lists. Why don't you just go to the dealer and ask for the "OE #4773259 draincock" which can't be all that much. Or maybe call 1st to see if they still carry it/have it in stock. This will only work if it's the OE rad and hasn't been replaced. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

This is the one I'm hoping will fit. I do believe the Rad is original. Quadratec has it for $28 (mopar).
mopar-plug.jpg

Unread 11-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

That's a different design than the 96 4.0 and waaay too pricey. It's $5.75 at mopar-wholesale and lists for $8.35. Of course you'd have to open an account, heard shipping's a little high, but it sure isn't going to be what Quadratec wants.

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com/mopar-parts/catalog.html

I don't think the above link stays on the item and you'll have to look it up again with the Mopar OE number 4773259 under Jeep in the parts catalog on the right/top side of the screen.

Still believe I'd try the dealer and bet it costs the above list price of $8.35.

Edit: here it is on Amazon for $5.74 + $3.81 shipping and genuine Mopar.

http://www.amazon.com/CHRYSLER-DODGE...productDetails

Unread 11-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the research Uniblurb. I think I will take your first bit of advice and visit the dealer first in case they have it. I'm not above retrofitting anything, but if I can find an exact fit replacement, my OCD won't flare up as much...which is worth a bit of $ for me in most cases. Quadratec's price is hilarious (though I'd pay it if I had to...maybe). The whole situation here is a bit crazy. I'm still curious as to how the plug stayed in for nearly 20 years, but last week suddenly it just falls out for no apparent reason.
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

No problem SuperDave and you got bushy-tailed rats in AL? Lol, but the squirrels, chipmunks, mice and groundhogs have done $5K worth of damage to my Jeeps in the past 5 years! They love to chew on plastic, hoses, wires, etc.. And State Farm keeps paying for all the damage no questions asked. I don't really think that's how the drainplug was removed and that's a strange one. You would think the internal corrosion over the years would help hold it in even if it's plastic.

I'd watch and make sure your coolant level in the overflow tank is going up/down as it heats up/cools off indicating your rad cap is working correctly while not building up too much pressure.

Yeah, with that Mopar draincock still being available at those online sites you would think most dealers would still have them in stock. Good luck!

Unread 11-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

Haven't had any animal damages personally...that I know of anyway. I went to the local dealer and they would have had to order it. So, I just went ahead and ordered one myself. Had to buy two just to get past their $10.00 minimum. Very annoying because after shipping I'm paying 24 bucks for a piece of cheap plastic. And I don't even know if it'll fit when it gets here. If it doesn't I guess I'll be "improvising" with something.
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

simular problem, simular frustration; different solution:: I went to the home center and found a nylon connector similar threads, tapped the radiator hole and inserted the connector, then added a spigot.
Hey, its an 8 cyl, and cant reach the drain anyway, so this is better.

will it last? over 8 months and I have put my hand on the extension hose while the engine is hot, hose and spigot are cool to touch. no leaks.

well, that one way to go.
fini-spigot-small.jpg

parts-small.jpg

Unread 11-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Tip of the day,lol. Develope a relationship with your Mopar parts guy. I just shipped ALOT of small parts that weighed more than a drain cock for $14. Second tip, if you get the "thats no longer available speech" check a place called Vintage Parts online. All major american auto makers sell off slow moving stock to them. Punch in chrysler and the part number and it will tell you if they have it.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman
Tip of the day,lol. Develope a relationship with your Mopar parts guy. I just shipped ALOT of small parts that weighed more than a drain cock for $14. Second tip, if you get the "thats no longer available speech" check a place called Vintage Parts online. All major american auto makers sell off slow moving stock to them. Punch in chrysler and the part number and it will tell you if they have it.
How's $50 sound for a driver side door disarm switch? And only 49.50 to reprogram my fob...but I found out today my fob is completely dead...gotta buy a new fob.

Not trying to thread jack btw.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #14
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave94 View Post
Haven't had any animal damages personally...that I know of anyway. I went to the local dealer and they would have had to order it. So, I just went ahead and ordered one myself. Had to buy two just to get past their $10.00 minimum. Very annoying because after shipping I'm paying 24 bucks for a piece of cheap plastic. And I don't even know if it'll fit when it gets here. If it doesn't I guess I'll be "improvising" with something.
Sounds like a pretty crappy dealer/parts counter. Like coralman said it's best to develop a good relationship with a parts guy there. But kind of hard to do if you don't visit/buy many parts from them. If you had to order 2 shipped believe I would have gone with Amazon in the link I posted for $8 which included shipping. They also have a good return policy. Regardless, hope it fits/works!

I'm lucky I know a parts guy well at the local dealer who gives me the wholesale "cuz" 25% discount. Guy's a whiz too and when I replaced the ignition switch on my son's 96 XJ he pulled out his locksmith kit and keyed it for free. I've also never bought a part there, even if ordered in, I haven't been able to return. Not trying to rub it in and more or less some input to Scopez's post.

Unread 11-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Those little door switches are pretty steep and pretty flimsy when you look at them. I snag them when I feel like it at the yard but they are tricky to get off without breaking.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.