Quick battery question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quick battery question

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
jeepgal2k12
1996 ZJ 

Quick battery question

What charge is a battery supposed to be? If it reads 12.00 on a multimeter is that the correct voltage? Is 12.00 the appropriate charge for some batteries?

Unread 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Most any one I've ever had would test ~12.5-12.7 with the vehicle off. Then low 13's while running. The "12V" terminology is kind of a misnomer.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
jeepgal2k12
1996 ZJ 

Thanks! All I needed to know.

I told the guy at advanced my battery only read 12.3-12.4. He looked at me like I had two heads and told me it was only needed to be 12v. I was starting to think I was crazy for a minute.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Around here it's a real crap shoot trying to get knowledge behind the counter at a parts store. They only know what their computer tells them, which isn't much.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Around here it's a real crap shoot trying to get knowledge behind the counter at a parts store. They only know what their computer tells them, which isn't much.
Yep, generally if they were mechanics, they wouldn't be working there, though sometimes you get the occasional retiree mechanic working there, but that's rare
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
jeepgal2k12
1996 ZJ 

Ok only question. I've gone to two part stores to have my battery test. One says my battery is fine (where I bought the battery. The other says my battery is bad.

I got my battery charged yesterday morning. By the time I picked it up and did some work on my car it was too dark. I just reinstalled it this morning, and it was dead again.

It lost its charged not hooked up to anything.

Bad battery or normal?

I promise I googled this...
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If it lost the charge not hooked up to anything it's probably bad. Either it isn't taking a full charge or it has an internal short and is discharging overnight. If you have a warranty you would like the store you bought it from to honor you can have them charge it and hold it for you overnight. If it's dead in the morning they should warranty it out. Or you could just dump out the acid and refill it with water, instant "bad" battery.

FWIW when I sold parts the minimum for a fully charged battery was 12.45 volts. The problem is that voltage isn't a very good measurement of a battery's charge.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...tate_of_charge
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
jeepgal2k12
1996 ZJ 

Battery turned out to be good, but I think I see what the problem is. Thanks all!
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

12v is about 50% charged. Charging it half way will ruin the battery. It needs to be put on a trickle charger overnight and charged slow. Fast charges can also ruin a battery. Running it low like that will cause it not to hold a full charge and it will lead to sulfation over time.

Mine right now is showing signs of sulfation. I let the battery totally die a couple of times and in my ignorance I didn't charge it fully. Now it won't hold a full charge and it's slowly dying. It won't make it past another winter. The ZJ hates low batteries too.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...to_prevent_it/
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.