Quick 31" Tire Question! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quick 31" Tire Question!

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
spife7980
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZJ98 View Post
The other thing I was thinking about, is I really like a Grand with a wider stance, be it wider tires, better backspacing, or wheel spacers. Now most likely, when I get the 31's, they're going to be on my stock 15" rims until I can pick up some cragars, but how wide are 31x9.50's going to be compared to the stock 245/75/r15? does the 75 mean 7.5" wide, in which case the 31's will be 2" wider on each side? Because if the 31's aren't much wider, I might pick up some spidertrax wheel spacers, because like I said, I think Grands look good with a wide stance. I had a soccer mom in a WJ pass me on the highway yesterday with some really wide tires (like 2" outside the fenders on each side) and it was gorgeous...(so was she!) haha. But anyways, what do you guys think on this idea?

Thanks
id get the BB and shocks before tires anyways. they arent that expensive. can be done for like $200

the .75 is a ratio.

the tire you mentioned is 245 millimeters wide. if you divide it by 25.4 that will get from metric millimeters to english inches for ease of understanding.

so 245/25.4=9.65 inches wide.

then the .75 is a ratio of that width that comes out to the hight of one side wall.

so 9.65x.75=7.24 inches of one side wall. double that for the height of both side walls combined

7.24x2=14.48" of total tire sidewall. add in the rim diameter

14.48+15=29.48" tall tire.

so a 245/75-15 tire is the equivalent of 29.28x9.65x15 in english.

__________________
-James
Got to love an ORVIS guy...
IRO 5.5", Front LA & Double Sheer TB, Rear Adj SA and TB, JKS Quick Discos, Bilstein 5125, 265/75/16 Nitto Terra's, Cragar 16x& Soft 8s 4" bs
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
MyZJ98
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,007
Also, how noisy are M/Ts compared to A/Ts? i'm talking more specifically about the Definity Dakota M/Ts really, I'm looking at a set from pep boys, they're pretty reasonable in price, and have a nice meaty aggresive tread, which I know would be great for the kind of mud I play in. But being a DD, it's also gonna be on roads and highways often, and I don't want a really noisy tires like super swampers tend to be. BTW, anyone have any experience with the Definity Dakota M/Ts and how they perform in Snow? since winters coming in quickly...
__________________
Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #18
MyZJ98
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by spife7980 View Post
id get the BB and shocks before tires anyways. they arent that expensive. can be done for like $200

the .75 is a ratio.

the tire you mentioned is 245 millimeters wide. if you divide it by 25.4 that will get from metric millimeters to english inches for ease of understanding.

so 245/25.4=9.65 inches wide.

then the .75 is a ratio of that width that comes out to the hight of one side wall.

so 9.65x.75=7.24 inches of one side wall. double that for the height of both side walls combined

7.24x2=14.48" of total tire sidewall. add in the rim diameter

14.48+15=29.48" tall tire.

so a 245/75-15 tire is the equivalent of 29.28x9.65x15 in english.
WOW, awesome, thanks for the info. So I think the spidertrax spacers might be more for me for the stance I'm looking for. Anyone have a ZJ running 31's with spacers (spidertrax or otherwise)? Thanks guys
__________________
Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
Jones
Consider the following...
 
Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZJ98 View Post
Yep it was:

ZJones, what is this stuff you used? it looks so clean and neat...
It's black door trim from autozone. The stuff is cheap though and has already fallen off.
__________________
Put your bacon where your mouth is!
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #20
MyZJ98
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post
It's black door trim from autozone. The stuff is cheap though and has already fallen off.
OH, thanks for the heads up then, because rubbing or not, I think I'd like still like to trim my fenders, because that door trim cleans it up nicely, and I think it would make my ZJ look a little taller too Maybe it would hold up better if you ran a line of some kind of glue inside the part that meets the fender. How does it hold on normally, just a press on/squeeze application?
__________________
Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #21
Jones
Consider the following...
 
Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,794
It has adhesive inside that's supposed to keep it on. I think the problem for me was the Arizona heat just beating on it all summer. You might have better luck with it.
__________________
Put your bacon where your mouth is!
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #22
MyZJ98
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post
It has adhesive inside that's supposed to keep it on. I think the problem for me was the Arizona heat just beating on it all summer. You might have better luck with it.
That could have very well been. Adhesive tapes+heat=no likey. But here, especially in Winter, we get some pretty cold temps, which won't help much either, but I think if i just run a bead of Gorilla Glue or something along with the adhesive, it should probably hold alright.
__________________
Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
sandman
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wilsonville, Oregon
Posts: 5,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZJ98 View Post
Also, how noisy are M/Ts compared to A/Ts? i'm talking more specifically about the Definity Dakota M/Ts really, I'm looking at a set from pep boys, they're pretty reasonable in price, and have a nice meaty aggresive tread, which I know would be great for the kind of mud I play in. But being a DD, it's also gonna be on roads and highways often, and I don't want a really noisy tires like super swampers tend to be. BTW, anyone have any experience with the Definity Dakota M/Ts and how they perform in Snow? since winters coming in quickly...

i have no experience with those tires but i like the tread design and would imagine w/ all that siping and staggered lugs that tire would be reasonably quiet for a mud terrain.
__________________
1993 Jeep ZJ. 4.0
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #24
MyZJ98
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,007
Thats what I hoped to hear!
__________________
Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #25
urq2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Posts: 31
.
urq2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.