Questions on WJ's and yes i read the FAQ's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Questions on WJ's and yes i read the FAQ's

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
phantasm

Questions on WJ's and yes i read the FAQ's

Ok, got a few questions i'd like to ask and hope i dont get flamed for it. My WJ has the 4.0L I6 engine (believe me i would've loved a V8) in it, is this engine any good for off-roading? I'm not big into rock crawling (well yes but not competition or gigantic boulders), mainly trail riding and what not.

In my opinion the little 6 would have some issues, then again i don't know. This is my first Jeep so i don't know much about them. Also how do i tell what front or rear end i have? Is there a plate or something on the axle housing with the relevant technical data?

As for rim size, I have 16" (current tires are 225/75R16 i believe) but eventually want to jump the jeep to 33" tires. Should i stay with 16's and get 16x10 rims and mount 33x12.5 on them or what. I'm still struggling to learn this stuff.

My previous off road rig was an '85 Yota with a 4 banger and 4WD with a lock rite in the rear. It was my beater in high school and i loved it, not i got this and want it modified as time and money permits. I love the look of a lifted WJ for some reason.

Here's the vehicle info in case someone needs it to help me out.

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - I6 4.0L - 4x4 with tiny tires.

Unread 08-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

The 4.0 will be just fine for offroading many of us do great with it.You have a D35 in the rear and a d30 upfront.Goint to 33's is a big step.The problem with going to 33's is that the D35 may not hold up to it when wheeling.
rrubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The I6 is a great motor. It has good low end torque and its reliable.

You have a Dana 30 front and a Dana 35 rear.

I'd stick with 16" wheels. There seems to be the most tire choices in this wheel size now. I'd go with 8" on the width though with 12.50 wide tires. It will hold the bead better whan airing down vs. a 10" wide wheel.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrubio
The 4.0 will be just fine for offroading many of us do great with it.You have a D35 in the rear and a d30 upfront.Goint to 33's is a big step.The problem with going to 33's is that the D35 may not hold up to it when wheeling.
Is this something a locker would fix or does the whole rear-end need replacing? If thats the case then i'm sure i could make do with 31's. In either case, whats the best lift for maximum clearance and flexibility for those tire sizes?
Unread 08-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

I wouldn't risk 33" tires for this setup. First as rrbio said D35 can say "goodbye", and the second thing is that it would be incredibly slow onroad with these 3.55 axle gears.
edit: locker won't help- this is problem caused by weak axle shafts
POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #11

Anyway, nothing will beat Suzuki :D
mendelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

The locker would only make it worse running 33's.It's just the d35 is not strong enough to run 33's.Don't get 31's get 32's and a 4.5" of lift.
Unread 08-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
phantasm

First off thanks for the help so far.

Secondly, is there really a big difference between 32 and 33 inch tires. To me i see the difference of an inch. How can it be so different? I understand the week axles issue, i would eventually like to lock the rear, with 32's is this still possible given the configuration in the gear box?
Unread 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasm
First off thanks for the help so far.

Secondly, is there really a big difference between 32 and 33 inch tires. To me i see the difference of an inch. How can it be so different? I understand the week axles issue, i would eventually like to lock the rear, with 32's is this still possible given the configuration in the gear box?
The overall diameter and the weight. 1" may not sound alot but size does matter . Im running 32's with my rear end being locked for over 2 years now with no issues.
Unread 08-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

1" is not much, but compard to 30" of standard wheel it is about 2% additional torque. Then comes much bigger inertia of the wheel. Therefore I think this is quite big difference, isn't it?
Edit: rrubio, this is not fair, you are again faster
POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #11

Anyway, nothing will beat Suzuki :D
mendelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
phantasm

Ok. I got that part now. Thanks.

So basically, a 4.5" lift with 32's would do fine. This is close to what i was considering in my mind but didn't have anything to fall back on. Another question then regarding the rims. What do you do about backspacing? I'm not familiar with that. ALso if i remember correctly there is two comapnies who make lifts for the WJ. Is KOR a good company to deal with?
Unread 08-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Kevin is highly recommend but alot of us here.It does get pricey when you go to 4" to 5" and alot more at 6".

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.