Questions on TB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Questions on TB

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Questions on TB

Quick intro, lately when I start my Jeep in the morning I have to let it run for about a minute then shut it off and start it up again for it to run smooth(ish). Otherwise it sounds like it's gunna choke it self to death.

I want to start with the smaller things but Engines are not my forte. My first project will be cleaning the IAC and my TB. My main concern is that this is my DD and I live alone, so I can't **** anything up or I am screwed. So I don't want to get myself in too deep.

I have read the "How to clean your idle air control valve" thread, so that's been my starting point. 3 question on where things are and whatnot.

1. On Image 01, how do I get this out, do I just pull it?

2. On Image 02, That is the TB dirrectly below the giant tube, right? (Go ahead, Laugh)

3. On Image 02, IAC..Correct? (Highlighted)

My expertise is computers, so thanks for bearing with my lack of mechanical knowhow..

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's just a plug. You should be able to push on it with your thumb and slide it off. You may need a flat head driver to gently break the dirt seal while you wiggle it but no need to pry it. The TB is under that and that looks like the TPS sensor. The IAC is on the back I think. The front is the MAP sensor.

In this pic the IAC is the one on the left.
picture-13.png  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Alright. IAC located. But that piece I highlighted in the first picture isn't going to come out without me yanking it..
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaanTSA5 View Post
Alright. IAC located. But that piece I highlighted in the first picture isn't going to come out without me yanking it..
It's just a plug like all the other sensor plugs. It has a plastic clip that snaps onto the plug. Sometimes they are a pain to get off thats why it's better to slip a flathead driver where the plug and sensor join up and help it a little while you depress the release and wiggle it off.

You can otherwise just remove the screws holding the sensor in and leave it plugged in.
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

See this thing here in the red circle? That is a button that you depress to unplug this sensor. The TPS and IAC have similar things but they are more like a clip that slides over a notch and hooks on. Try lifting up on it maybe with the flat head while you pull to slide if off.

Look in this link, you can see the little tip where the plug slides over and hooks onto. This is upside down though in the pic. http://4x4point.com.au/cart/images/tps.JPG
picture-15.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
See this thing here in the red circle? That is a button that you depress to unplug this sensor. The TPS and IAC have similar things but they are more like a clip that slides over a notch and hooks on. Try lifting up on it maybe with the flat head while you pull to slide if off.

Look in this link, you can see the little tip where the plug slides over and hooks onto. This is upside down though in the pic. http://4x4point.com.au/cart/images/tps.JPG
I was actually talking about something different but I realize after looking at what I was doing a third time, that I was doing something unnecessary.

Very helpful picture in the link, thank you.

Is there anything specific I should be using to wipe off the IAC? Other than the TB Cleaner Spray, as in what implement do I use? Finger, washcloth, towel? I see toothbrush is common. Or if it makes it easier, what should I "not" use.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Depends on how dirty it is I guess. Just be gentle with is and don't open the plunger/sleeve. If you can get the stuff off with a rag you can use that. A toothbrush is probably the best with some carb cleaner.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Depends on how dirty it is I guess. Just be gentle with is and don't open the plunger/sleeve. If you can get the stuff off with a rag you can use that. A toothbrush is probably the best with some carb cleaner.
Toothbrush it is then.

This is my project for after work tomorrow. I will post how it goes. Thank you!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.