questions regarding the swampy bypass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > questions regarding the swampy bypass

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 04-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
ijusgottajeep
1994 ZJ 

questions regarding the swampy bypass

so i want to do the bypass setup on my jeep since i bought it with fuel pump power issues. but i don't know if it will affect the PCM/ECU/ whatever if i wire it up on it's own circuit. basically, the original pump gets no power and the relay and the fuse have been switched out but to no prevail. rather than diving deeper into this issue i want to just do the swap to an inline pump and run a wire basically straight from the battery to a switch on the dash with an inline fuse than to the pump. yes it doesn't sound like the greatest idea i do know that but i'm a low income tree farmer with a kid a month and a half away and i can't put a car seat in my big old pickup. can I do this and not have my ECM burn up? i hot wired the original pump and got it to pump fuel for a minute so i could start it and it did start for a minute, but the pump quit pumping. so here I am asking you jeep guys because i'm new to the jeep thing and i need answers from guys who know what the heck they're talking about

ijusgottajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Its most likely the caps in your ECM causing your no start issue and its a common, easy to fix problem, did it myself on a friends 95 GC in under an hr iirc. I'd try replacing the caps first as its dirt cheap, quick and super easy if you have a Radio Shack near you.

Check out this thread;
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...riteup-501951/

And this one;
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/b...m-help-330109/

And this one;
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/l...nt-how-501574/
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
ijusgottajeep
1994 ZJ 

wow yes that sounds a little more reasonably priced than what i was looking to do. i'll give it a shot this weekend my brother in law is very familiar with these tasks, more so than I. side note i'm also from portland originally. i grew up in st johns lol. thanks for the help you potentially saved me around 100 bucks or more!
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

I read through the bypass thread and noticed in the last post that one person had an issue with the fuel pump being too big and putting over double the fuel pressure to the engine and fouling plugs after a very short amount of time. Stock fuel pressure is around 43psi, iirc, so 100 is way too much, you'd need to find a lower psi in line pump if you attempted the bypass mod.

St Johns is a cool area, be nice if they could out the bad elements and turn it into one of those trendy pockets that have sprung up all over ne and se
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
ijusgottajeep
1994 ZJ 

oh yes it would be nice. but the pump i found on summitracing was 45 psi and i cannot remember how many GPH. it was only 80 bucks though. might want to keep that in the back of your mind if you ever do it. so if my problem isn't the caps in the ecu, what else could it possibly be? i'm pulling the unit now to have my brother in law test it with his meter to double check.
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
ijusgottajeep
1994 ZJ 

check this out i found the right caps for cheaper http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=020-1746

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.