Questions before buying Grand Cheroke... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Questions before buying Grand Cheroke...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-03-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
87yjNY

Questions before buying Grand Cheroke...

Hey there,
I have an 87 wrangler- never owned a Grand Cherokee, and now looking to buy one..Have a few questions.

1. Are there any years or models to stay away from? Any known problems?

2. What is considered high mileage on the v6 and v8 engines when looking? Any known transmission problems, any specific gr. cherokees to look for?

3. Any 4wd actuator/ tcase problems or any other advice when buying a used grand cherokee....things to look for...

Looking to buy one between years of 1993-present- TIA

87yjNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
shookwell

get a 98 5.9 limited. Definately the best ZJ (ZJ = gen 1 grand cherokee, till 98, after 98 = WJ)

The 5.9 liter engine was only offered in 98, it is one of the fastest SUVs stock and easy to make even faster. It also has just about every option offered in the ZJ. One thing to look for is a shot viscous coupling in the 249 transfer case. Turn the wheel all the way to one side and see if it binds or jumps. If you wait untill the new grand cherokee comes out (WK), the prices of ZJ and WJ will probably drop.
Unread 06-03-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shookwell
get a 98 5.9 limited. Definately the best ZJ (ZJ = gen 1 grand cherokee, till 98, after 98 = WJ)

The 5.9 liter engine was only offered in 98, it is one of the fastest SUVs stock and easy to make even faster. It also has just about every option offered in the ZJ. One thing to look for is a shot viscous coupling in the 249 transfer case. Turn the wheel all the way to one side and see if it binds or jumps. If you wait untill the new grand cherokee comes out (WK), the prices of ZJ and WJ will probably drop.
I agree, mostly; the 98ZJ ltd is the ultimate evolution of the ZJ. However, if you are looking for something a little easier on the fuel $s, the I6 engine is very good. You will probably have to pay less for an I6 4.0 Liter ZJ ltd that for a V8 ZJ ltd, all other parts being equal.
Doug
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
nagos420

after owning a 93, 99, and 00, still own them i would stay as far away as possible from the new ones 1999+
nagos420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
jfwsouth

I've had a 99 limited and now a 2004 Overland. As with any vehicle, they have quirks (on the 99 warped rotors, window motors, luckily no probs with the infamous transfer case). I sold my 99 in 2002 to get a Ford Sport Trac. After 2 years of living a mistake, I'm back to the family....and very happy with my Overland.
jfwsouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
87yjNY

Keep the advice and opinions coming...

Hey Guys,
Appreciate all the replies...So basically a 6cyl or powerful 8 cyl 1998 grand cherokee seems to be reccomended. I figure I'll find one that has anywhere between 90K and 140K miles on it.

What would you say a fair price for one with low mileage would be, and a ball park price for one with around or above 140K miles....Now are these engines 6 and 8 known to take a beating like the 4.0 cherokee and last into the 200K range?

As far as the tcase problem, someone reccomended seeing if the steering wheel binds or jumps when pulled all the way,can you elaborate on what i should be checking or feeling, or looking for..

Any other info greatly appreciated. thanx
87yjNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2004, 06:19 PM   #7
shookwell

look at www.jeepsunlimited.com there are usually a few 5.9s for sale. probably between 9-12k for a 5.9 depending on mileage and condition. The 4.0 in the ZJs I think are the same exact motor as the cherokee, however, are underpowered for all the extra weight a ZJ has over an XJ, especially with the auto transmission.
Unread 06-04-2004, 09:59 PM   #8
JAURS

The consensus has been to stay away from the 99 model year, as they had problems with the launch of the WJ. Both the I6 and V8's that are offered will last a long time if taken care of problem. You should try and find a V8, as there isn't much of a gas mileage difference, both engines last for the same amount of time, and the V8 has a tremendous amount of power compared to the I6. Either engine should last 200K+ if properly maintained. Just be careful like others have said about the all wheel drive transfer case viscious coupling (NP249). Also, drive it around a little before making a purchase and see how well the transmission shifts. Again, they are fairly reliable vehicles, but you never know how someone has taken care of their vehicle. Good Luck.

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade (stock for awhile)

Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/show.fcgi?t=slideshow&ID=108993811&key=VTeyLQ

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288067675
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.