Questions about a couple projects - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Questions about a couple projects

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 07-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
jeepon20
2010 WK 

Questions about a couple projects

I am going to be doing a couple projects coming up soon and had a few questions before I dive into them.

1. I need to do a coolant flush and have never done this before. What is the propper way of doing this so that i do not f*** anything up? And is this very hard to do myself? (I'm assuming its pretty straight forward)

and

2. I believe I need to replace my power steering pump. It is hit and miss at low RPM haveing power steering, and there is a loud squeel when i turn the wheel so I would assume that it is going bad and needs to be replaced. Is the pump hard to get to? What will I need to do this correctly myself? And are there any other suggestions of what the problem could be? (I have checked the fluid level and it is full)

Thanks, Jake

jeepon20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Draining the coolant is easy. Just undo the petcock at the bottom of the radiator (should be on passenger side), and the coolant should start coming out in a steady stream. Be sure to squeeze the top radiator hose to get as much out as possible. Then just pour as much coolant into the radiator as you can and put the top on it. Then fill the overflow bottle on the passenger side about halfway full of coolant. Start the car and let it get to temp. Once the thermostat opens, the coolant will from the overflow will start circulating into the system and getting all the air out. All in all its pretty easy.

I've never changed a PS pump, but its located right on top of the engine. Its right next to the air box.

HTH

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
jeepon20
2010 WK 

That helps a lot actually. Thanks

If anyone else has some insight on the PS issue for me that would help as well.

Thanks, Jake
Unread 07-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Minivan
2001 WJ 

Coolant flush> Romove a radiator hose, whichever one is easier for you after draining coolant. Use a garden hose to "flush all the nasties out, then fill as mentioned before.

P/S, suck out as much fluid as possible using your mom's/girlfriends/wifes turkey baster (she will never know), pull off two lines remove belt remove pump. Put all back together, jack front of jeep up (tires off ground) fill pump, start jeep, cycle steering wheel back and forth about halfway while checking fluid level every couple of times. this will get all of the air out. Last step, but by far the most important, is go wheeling.
Unread 07-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
jeepon20
2010 WK 

Perfect! Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Minivan - Wheeling is in the future, as the funds come in...
Unread 07-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

On the power steering issue, I'm guessing that you found a leak or just think that it is the source of the problem? Have you checked to see if it was fully serviced?

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
Minivan
2001 WJ 

Just read your info and I found a solution for the funds problem, Sell those 20's and buy some gas and insurance, by insurance, I obviously mean a lift.
Unread 07-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
jeepon20
2010 WK 

Hunter - There are no leaks, just the loud squeel?whine when I tuen at low RPM, and I have no PS at times as well, which is leading me to believe it is the pump.

Mini - The funds I am talking about needing are a lot more than I can get for my wheels. And I plan on keepin the wheels for daily (summer) driving, and getting a set of off-roaders for winter/wheeling, along with a custom adjustable suspension that will bring me from stock ride height to probably 4" of lift... So there is still a lot of planning and spending in my future!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.