Question for TEXAS ZJ1 or WVD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question for TEXAS ZJ1 or WVD

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-27-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Question for TEXAS ZJ1 or WVD

I have searched the forum for similar problems and haven't found much luck except for the fact that you 2 seem to know your JGC's. I have a 96 with the same mods as WVD with a few more tricks up the sleeve too. I just got done taking the valve covers off and sand blasting them and powder coating them too. They came out great but now notice a ticking sound near the covers once I turn her off. I also have a problem with her shutting off at times when I get off the gas, no matter what speed. I had to make a temp fix on the hose that goes from the intake to the left side valve cover (pcv valve???) because the original broke apart trying to remove the cover for the powder coating job, could it be a vacume leak but it seems like a good fit. I have also had the tranny replaced and truly wished I had learned more about them because I am lost listening to you guys tell the forum what to do....but my problem is a clunking noise either when I accelerate or when I let off the gas. Can you guys offer me some advice.

nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2004, 12:39 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Nash,
My first guess is that you still have a vacuum leak at the throttle body, intake manifold, or one of the vacuum hoses. Probably happened when you pulled the valve covers.
I bet those valve covers look really sharp. I am wanting to black powder coat my differential covers, and some other bits and pieces.
What other mods have you got in there? I've been thinking hard about a new intake manifold, but I haven't really decided what I want to end up with. Additionally, I have been thinking I really need to build my transmission and transfer case up before pumping any more horses through them.
Post up the specs and some pics, bud!
The clunking sounds suspiciously like bad U-joints.

HTH
Unread 11-27-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

The clunking noise could also be (I just love diagnosing problems over the net, it is soooooo scientific) a broken motor mount.

The engine would move under the torque or release of torque and move.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
The clunking noise could also be (I just love diagnosing problems over the net, it is soooooo scientific) a broken motor mount.

The engine would move under the torque or release of torque and move.

Hunter

ooooooooooo good call!

I didn't even think of motor mounts!

Hey guys, just because Nash is picking on Hunter and me doesn't mean you can't chime in! Let's hear some more ideas!
Unread 11-27-2004, 02:12 PM   #5
LJ_Cool
2006 LJ Wrangler 

clunking

Is the clunking present when the vehicle is not moving? Ie, if everything is in neutral, and you rev it, does it clunck?

that might narrow it down to the enginemounts,

otherwise, you may want to investigate the driveline and Transfercase

Regards
LJ_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
matt.x
1995 ZJ 

Do you have 2WD or 4WD? And if 4WD, does the problem only happen in 4WD or does it always occur?? Course, this wont narrow the problem down if you have the Quadra-Trac (full time) case (4HI - N - 4LO). However, I only have clunking in 4WD and I believe it to be u-joints in the knuckles of the front axle.

Matt
Red Jeep Club Member #237
matt.x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2004, 04:26 PM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Typically when you place the shifter from Park to drive and hear a clunk itís the U-joints. If you hear a clunk when punching the accelerator while already cruising, then itís the CV joints. But CVs are very strong and usually do not wear out unless they have split and slung the grease everywhere. Easy to check. However if you have a CV on the front drive shaft, someone here maybe Hunter, has indicated that it is weak. Make sure that the drive shift splines have been greased with a grease gun lately. I just did mine this weekend. Usually I do this 2-3 times a year.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2004, 01:30 AM   #8
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

I can't thank you guys enough....I went ahead and got a new hose and pcv valve and so far so good. As for the clunking noise it is while I am driving and not at idle. I will take your inputs and look to see if it is in the drivetrain and or t-case. My other problem I have is the front seems to rattle over the littlest bump in the pavement. I have posted the problem on the forum before and the only thing I noticed was that when I take the tires off to investigate the rotors and calipers move easily. I was told this is normal but yet in all my tinkering on cars have never known this to be true. I took it in to a local tire place and they said the driver side steering hub is going bad. Oh and that a flaw on this model Jeep is that once the pads get worn enough that they vibrate/bounce around inside the caliper and the retaining clips are banging into the calipers making the noise. Back to you WVD...I will admit that I don't go off roading and used to be one of those racer car kinda guy. I moved up in class to the JGC and went back to my old ways of boosting power and so on. I don't have the K-N FIPK like you...I went with AEM and I also went with a 160 degree t-stat. I have the stage 2 jet chip and throttle body spacer. I here you guys bad mouth them but in my Jeep I have noticed the increase. My next step is the ignition upgrade from Kevinsjeepparts.com. I have been searching for chrome parts to dress up the engine bay but had no luck so now I am using the Dremel to polish each piece. I have pics but do not know how to post. Do you have an email address...I will send them to you.
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #9
JoshGC4

another vote for motor mounts
CharGold Jeep Club Member #2

if you ain't breakin anything, you're not trying hard enough

No, it doesn't have a Hemi.
JoshGC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2004, 01:28 PM   #10
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

....but my problem is a clunking noise either when I accelerate or when I let off the gas. Can you guys offer me some advice.

That statement is a perfect broken motor mount indicator.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #11
acrscotland

I was just surfing through old posts and came across this one. I think I'm suffering the engine mount issue - I experience the clunk occasionally when lifting off the gas or if I am a little too violent on starting off I get a clunk - I always assumed it was something to do with power transfer. My question is, where are the motor mounts located so I can have a look and how hard are they to replace? Do I need proper hoists etc? Thanks.

[B]1995 ZJ Limited 5.2L[/B]
[SIZE=2]Kolak 3" Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70, Edelbrock IAS shocks, Addco Sway Bars Front & Rear, OME Steering Stabilizer, K&N drop-in, Hella 500 spots & Hella 550 fogs[/SIZE]
acrscotland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #12
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
....but my problem is a clunking noise either when I accelerate or when I let off the gas. Can you guys offer me some advice.
It's time to clean up the jeep. Throw out the empty beer cans that you throw over your shoulder.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #13
O Holy P

Could it be slop in the rear gears? I have a Ford 9" with a nascar style locker in it and they are notorious for making lots of noises (this is in my Camaro btw )....and one happens to be when you let off the gas and get back on it at say highway speeds, they just clunk in and clunk out...nothing to worry about, just backlash settings. Just another possibility. Anyway, good luck w/ it.

pg

'95 z28 six speed - black w/ red stripes
solid roller 396ci LT1
O Holy P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
acrscotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
It's time to clean up the jeep. Throw out the empty beer cans that you throw over your shoulder.
...and there was me getting worried about my transmission... It probably is just a quirk - as O_Holy_P describes is - it's when you wind up and down. It's probably not a bad idea for me to check the mounts in any case. Thanks!

[B]1995 ZJ Limited 5.2L[/B]
[SIZE=2]Kolak 3" Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70, Edelbrock IAS shocks, Addco Sway Bars Front & Rear, OME Steering Stabilizer, K&N drop-in, Hella 500 spots & Hella 550 fogs[/SIZE]
acrscotland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2005, 03:57 PM   #15
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

The motor mounts are most visible from underneath. If you look up at the passenger side of the engine, you can easily see the oil filter, just forward of that is the motor mount. In line with that on the driver's side is the other motor mount. Oddly enough, they are the only things that connect the engine to the frame, so they are even easier to identify. They look like sideways cans filled with rubber and a metal shaft imbedded in the center. If you still can't fine 'em, let me know, and I'll try to further confuse the issue.

HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.