Question regarding a lift for my jeep please help ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question regarding a lift for my jeep please help !

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Reply
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
318GC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Port Jeff, New York
Posts: 8
Question regarding a lift for my jeep please help !

I bought a 1998 grand Cherokee limited 5.2L v8 , the truck doesn't have 2wd only 4wd , I would like to put a 3" lift with 33" tires , I was told by a friend that I could not install a lift like that bc my truck is 4wd only , I wanna know if I could put a lift with tires all your replys are greatly appreciated have a great evening/morning. Thanks

318GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
spannaflicka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
From the FAQ regarding lift vs tyre size
image-2684979190.jpg

spannaflicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
tucsonzj
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by 318GC View Post
I bought a 1998 grand Cherokee limited 5.2L v8 , the truck doesn't have 2wd only 4wd , I would like to put a 3" lift with 33" tires , I was told by a friend that I could not install a lift like that bc my truck is 4wd only , I wanna know if I could put a lift with tires all your replys are greatly appreciated have a great evening/morning. Thanks
Judging by the fact that there's probably 1,000 zj drivers on here, and many of us are lifted and have 4wd jeeps. what does "a lift like that" mean? Is your friend talking about a particular type of lift? If you're just talking in general your friend can go pound sand, and get new friends.
__________________
[COLOR="Purple"]1995 ZJ Limited-3.5" Rubicon Express, 33x12.5s and some other stuff. Maybe half of it works, but it stops so that helps.
[/COLOR]
Build thread [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/tjs-zj-build-1518251/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Here[/COLOR][/URL]

[QUOTE=riot1987;15573985] I learned to tuck my stick....[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=kg6mov;19913617]Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.[/QUOTE]


RIP Ratmonkey-5/27/13. You will be missed.
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Posts: 3,172
I dont see how your Tcase type would/should determine your lift..

Do it. Some will argue it both ways but the bottom line is that a 249 Tcase is just fine for wheeling. You will have issues with the Tcase when you add traction aids, not lift
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,115
Your friend is wrong. 3" won't be enough for 33's unless you cut the fenders up.
__________________
1998 5.9
Originally Posted by jabba974
"And yes, there is always a torque spec...but its not necessary...and takes way to much time...."
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
kbranderhorst
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 42
you can put up too a 3.5" lift on just make sure too get one that comes with new control arms and shocks otherwise its a pain in the butt trying too find oversized parts i would suggest looking into trail masters 3.5" lift comes with control arms shocks 4 coils and hardware the only thing you may have an issue with is a front end vibration due too the front drive shaft angle but the other people are right 33 tires will not work 31s are what i would suggest 33s would require a ton of torching cutting and grinding too make them not rub horribly but as the other guys have said your friend is wrong it is totally possible too put a lift on the only thing people get weird about are the drive shaft angles good luck
kbranderhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbranderhorst View Post
you can put up too a 3.5" lift on just make sure too get one that comes with new control arms and shocks otherwise its a pain in the butt trying too find oversized parts i would suggest looking into trail masters 3.5" lift comes with control arms shocks 4 coils and hardware the only thing you may have an issue with is a front end vibration due too the front drive shaft angle but the other people are right 33 tires will not work 31s are what i would suggest 33s would require a ton of torching cutting and grinding too make them not rub horribly but as the other guys have said your friend is wrong it is totally possible too put a lift on the only thing people get weird about are the drive shaft angles good luck
Up to a 3.5" lift? Weird, I had a 4.5" lift with 33's on my last ZJ with full time 4wd. Setting the drive shaft angle is what the adjustable control arms are for. To set the pinion angle. Trailmaster sounds like a cheapo lift kit. I wouldn't touch it.

You would need a kit with all adjustable control arms and front and rear adjustable track bars for sure. Buy nice shocks.

I just looked this up. My shocks were 80 dollars less than this garbage. For a 4.5" lift to run 33's you would be spending 1200 bucks at least. You can run 31's with a 2" pucks.
__________________
1998 5.9
Originally Posted by jabba974
"And yes, there is always a torque spec...but its not necessary...and takes way to much time...."
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
kbranderhorst
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 42
yeah if you are looking too go with something pretty pricey go with what the smart guy above said but if your looking for something that doesnt break the bank the trail master is nice stuff a couple of guys i work with have used trail master lifts and always had good luck with them every one with a zj i know has had front end vibration issues with any lift over 3.5" but maybe all of us are just doing something wrong
kbranderhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbranderhorst View Post
yeah if you are looking too go with something pretty pricey go with what the smart guy above said but if your looking for something that doesnt break the bank the trail master is nice stuff a couple of guys i work with have used trail master lifts and always had good luck with them every one with a zj i know has had front end vibration issues with any lift over 3.5" but maybe all of us are just doing something wrong
If you look around here you will find plenty of people with over 3.5" of lift with no T case drops or drop pitman arms.

IRO and Claytons sell 6" lifts or more.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/118
__________________
1998 5.9
Originally Posted by jabba974
"And yes, there is always a torque spec...but its not necessary...and takes way to much time...."
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Midnightluckey
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX, Tx
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbranderhorst
yeah if you are looking too go with something pretty pricey go with what the smart guy above said but if your looking for something that doesnt break the bank the trail master is nice stuff a couple of guys i work with have used trail master lifts and always had good luck with them every one with a zj i know has had front end vibration issues with any lift over 3.5" but maybe all of us are just doing something wrong
I've been running close to 5" for about 5 years now. No vibes.

Maybe it's witches.
__________________
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
kbranderhorst
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 42
well looks like you can lift it as high as you want with out any issues haha best of luck too ya send me a pm if you want some info on the trail master lift and how it worked
kbranderhorst is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.