Question for other 97 ZJ owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question for other 97 ZJ owners

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! April Instant Rebate: Up to $75 off Flowmaster Products!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
1997 ZJ 

Question for other 97 ZJ owners

I discovered out a while back that my tranny fluid return line coming out from the top of my radiator has a big crimp in it and so I've been looking to replace it. An OEM replacement is no longer made and I found what I believed is the correct Dorman-brand substitute. It looks identical to how it is depicted in my '97 Factory Parts Manual however it does not appear to be identical to the line currently in my car.

I'm trying to find out if maybe the line was replaced at one point and if the rubber section just had enough slack to work with the apparently shorter replacement.

It seems that pre- and post- 97s may have different setups from the factory so I've love to hear back from others who have a 97 ZJ.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about:

And here's a picture of the replacement with a red arrow showing where the line should end, preferably.

I am wondering if the rubber section beginning at the red arrow is connected to the line at the same point on other '97 ZJs? Or further down? My replacement line is a bit longer and goes further down and to the left.

I could try and replace the line anyway and hope the rubber section has enough slack to accommodate the longer replacement but I'd like to hear from others before I try.

Thanks

1190405 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Mine was built in Nov. 97 and the hose-to-tube connection appears the same as in your pic. The tube appears to have an extra bend compared to the one you show. Perhaps they mean for you to bend it yourself, else it is the wrong part. I've had that with Dorman parts.
RedRiverT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Do you have v8 or 6 ?
Mines a v8 and these are the two lines i bought and they fit perfect:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went all out and replaced all the lines to the trans cooler back.
Dorman 624-839 Lower Outlet Transmission Line
Dorman 624-809 Lower Inlet Transmission Line
Dorman 624-384 Upper Elbow Transmission Line
Dorman 624-838 Upper Inlet Transmission Line
Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.