Question on mating 242 w/ 545RE. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question on mating 242 w/ 545RE.

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
JBN311
2004 WJ 

Question on mating 242 w/ 545RE.

I picked up a used case at an area junkyard a few months back.

I was just starting to rip out my 247 when my buddy asked where the rest of the threaded studs were that come off the TC. There were only 3 out of 6 mounting studs.

I call them studs because I don't know what they're called. They appear to be a piece of threaded rod that screws into the transfer case then you put the bolts on the remaining threads when mated with the tranny.

Are these "studs" a piece I can get from the dealer?

and

What are they really called so I don't get laughed at when I go buy new ones?

Thanks a lot guys.

Jesse

2004 WJ Laredo V8, NP242 swapped in, front Dana 30 w/ Vari-Lok, Aussie Locked 44a, BB, 30" BFG A/T's, Tow hooks, Rear Hitch, CB, Better than stock radio/MP3 player.
JBN311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

They're studs. Hope you got a 242hd and not a regular 242.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Do you have 6 good studs out of the two t-cases?

The nuts seize up often, so the studs become nothing more than bolts.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
JBN311
2004 WJ 

I might have 6 good ones between the two cases, but I wanted to be safe in case I messed them up while taking them off. I ordered 6 new studs with the nuts. dropped 72.50 on 12 pieces of metal.....oh well, now I just have to find the time to do it......

I did get the HD by the way.

2004 WJ Laredo V8, NP242 swapped in, front Dana 30 w/ Vari-Lok, Aussie Locked 44a, BB, 30" BFG A/T's, Tow hooks, Rear Hitch, CB, Better than stock radio/MP3 player.
Unread 07-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

wow, i would have just cut allthread to length for that kind of money.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

I have extra bolts. I'm sure I can dig up 6 with the nuts NOT frozen to the studs.

It makes it easier to bolt the trans&t-case together, but you only need 3 or 4 to make it line up perfect.

I have replaced 3 transfer cases on WJs and half of the nuts were frozen on the studs. I haven't have any problems just using them as bolts.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
JBN311
2004 WJ 

Thanks QuadraTokn,
I prepaid because the stealership needed the money upfront, and they said that since they were special ordering, it was not returnable. Guess I'm out a few dollars. At least I have the right parts.

Unread 08-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
JBN311
2004 WJ 

***update***

Just got the case in! (finally!) There were no real problems. THe reason I got the thing was because of a whirring noise. (and I wanted an excuse to get the 242) The whirring is still there. I have a QD front axle and the gear oil looked pretty milky. Could the whirring be as simple as a fluid change with a bit of modifier?!?!?!

I could have sworn I changed the fluid days before the noises started........On the other hand I could have driven through water too!

Thanks for the input guys!

Jesse

Unread 08-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Usually the whirling is a sign of driveline issue, (u - joints, out balance) or bad pinion or wheel bearings in the axles. Does it change when your on the gas or not?
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
JBN311
2004 WJ 

Yep. it happens when I'm on the gas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.