question for the magnum 5.2 ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > question for the magnum 5.2 ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
shawn6666
1998 ZJ 

question for the magnum 5.2 ?

i just bought a 97 g.c. for $300 the 5.2 is stout! but everything else is worn, i also have a 87 dodge ram the needs a motor. how doable would it be to swap motors, put the magnum into the dodge i know the block should be a direct fit any help would be great!

shawn6666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

The transmission will be one of the issues. I am looking at doing the opposite (dodge manual transmission into my ZJ) There are all sorts of compatibility issues with the transmission wiring, the starter, etc. Do your research and buy everything ahead of time.
'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
amonostereo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
kc8ztw
1993 ZJ 

basiclly almost everything would have to be swaped. your 97 is OBDII and everything is controlled by the computer. your 87 is not! intake would have to be changed to the old one, distrobuter too cause the 87 is vacum advanced and the 97 is computer controlled. i dont know about the coil thats probably all different too. what trans is in the 87? 727? 518? it will bolt to it but the flex might need to be changed too.
kc8ztw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
shawn6666
1998 ZJ 

i was planning on using the jeep tranny and moving the cross member some then figuring the drive shaft part, i saw some guy on youtube that put a magnum in a 83 new yorker and slapped the magnum to a 727 tranny
Unread 07-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
shawn6666
1998 ZJ 

i am also planning on taking everything from the jeep (computer, wiring and all)
Unread 07-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
kc8ztw
1993 ZJ 

trans will have to come then too... or live with the cel being on. im guessing you have the 727 trans in the 87? or the 518? or did the call em 37rh or 46rh then? idk but i dont think the trans in the 87 requires a computer to run but you should ask someone who really knows
kc8ztw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.