Question about tie rods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question about tie rods

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-07-2015, 12:05 AM   #1
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Question about tie rods

Now, from what I can surmise based on my FSM, my 95 ZJ Laredo has four tie rods in the front. Two inner, two outer. I'm planning this Friday to get the last of my four new tires installed, and wanted to replace what might be old worn out tie rods as well just before getting the tires.

Having looked beneath my jeep, I can see the four tie rods and steering dampener, and the ones which look the worse off are the two outer rods connected to the steering knuckles. As I don't exactly have the budget to just outright replace all four tie rods (otherwise I'd have replaced all four wheels at once instead of spreading out) I'm thinking if after the cost of tires the tie rods are still manageable, I'll get them.

My question therefore are the ones which follow:

1) While it's only a short drive between here and the tires shop, I'd rather not have them too out of alignment to start. I see alingment is based on a sleeve. Is there a good way to preserve the alingment there already, or is it just basically counting how many times I rotate the tie rods to get out?
1.1) additionally, since I'm replacing possibly both outer rods, should I replace the adjusting sleeve to to be safe, or would that not be needed?
2) when it comes to removing the old tie rods, Ive done them sort of before. What I used to do on my old vehicle (which only had 2, not 4) was twist the castle nut upside down to create a flat surface, then bang at it with a hammer. However, as the jeep has additional ends to be aware of, should I invest in the tie rod removal tool? Or is the hammer trick still okay for budget mechanic?
3) about how long would one estimate the replacement of the two outer tie rods to be? Time wise?

That's it for now. Any advice welcome and will ask more as I think of more

BorderWalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Only takes me about an hour to do the steering linkage. I highly recommend tossing the whole enchilada and getting one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automoti.../dp/B008VPUOSO

Thats much more heavy duty.

A quick tape measure alignment will be fine to get you to the store. Just put the axle on jack stands (so the weight is still on the axle) and set the toe and center the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Oooh. That does seem nice replacement. Not probably in my budget though for purchase with the tires, but something I could do after the tires and just get another alignment at a shop
BorderWalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.