Question about shifting into 4wd ( I know I should know this) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

Question about shifting into 4wd ( I know I should know this)

Good morning all,

another of my dumber questions. I have the select trac 95 grand cherokee. I have never put it into 4wd! Today I need to to get it out of my parking space (NC Ice storm this weekend) and my question is: Do I just put it into neutral, put it into 4wd full time, put it into reverse and should work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 AM
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
The 4wd is a Shift-on-the-fly type shifter. You can shift it while in drive. Ideally, you wanna shift it while driving between I think 20-40MPH, but I could be off in those numbers. However, you can shift it while in park.

Thing to note is: Don't be gentle. Don't rail on it, but don't treat it like a princess. You need to give it some force to actually shift it. The 242 [Selecttrac] can be tricky since it's spring activated with the modes, unlike the 249 [Quadratrac] and 231 [Commandtrac]. You might find yourself, especially since you've never shifted it before, getting stuck in 4PT when you go to shift it back into 2WD. However, if this happens, just reverse the vehicle and turn the wheels. That tends to kick it out at times. Bonus points if you can do it on soft ground like gravel or dirt.

tl;dr: Just shift it to 4FT in park and you should be fine. If it's too slick to move, go with 4PT. Hell, you may not even need to go into FT at all to move. Just take it carefully.

._________.ooooo.
/ŻŻŻ|ŻŻ|ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻ\,____
L/ŻŻ\\__|__|"/ŻŻŻ\=llllll=\
_(Ż))===)).....(Ż))===))Ż
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

thanks @BorderWalker ! I just need a little extra "oomph" to get unstuck. Hopefully this will work

post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 PM
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Not to over complicate things but if you've never put it into 4wd the shifter and linkage may be bound up or worse rusted solid. Use a bit of judgement before you unleash the atomic leg drop on it. However I just noticed the time on your post so hopefully all went well.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

@jm8881 , I t went smoothly. It swapped to 4ft without issue so I got lucky. I had changed the tc fluid only a couple months ago too. Looking at a driveworks shifter for it as well.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 AM
jeepjeepster

My 242 can be pretty picky about when you shift it. If youre already stuck there a possibility you wont be able to get it into 4wd. When in that situation, Ive found shifting it into 4low normally makes it go right in. Sometimes Ive got to hold back on the lever and shift the tranny into D and it pops in. Otherwise it gets stuck between N and 4low and just grinds...

Im not 100% happy with the 242 but if you shift it while rolling, getting on the gas and back off the gas normally makes it 'pop' in. I can hear it pop when it shifts. If you roll 2-3mph it will shift into 4low no problem.

If you are stopped right before a mud hole, through it in 4pt and floor it into the mud... Theres a good chance it will still be in 2wd and it will make all kinds of nice noises.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #7 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 AM
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeters1965 View Post
@jm8881 , I t went smoothly. It swapped to 4ft without issue so I got lucky. I had changed the tc fluid only a couple months ago too. Looking at a driveworks shifter for it as well.
Good times!

post #8 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 PM
8v-of-fury
1998 ZJ 

Although it is a shift on the fly system, it is also 20 years old! lol Thus, the best results will be had when rolling in neutral and selecting 4pt or 4ft (as well as going back to 2wd from 4x4). 4lo is best achieved whilst rolling in neutral at a walking speed. Slow down, hit neutral, go from 2wd directly down to 4lo in one swift motion before you stop rolling. Hit it back in to D and hit that climb or mudhole.

ps. Throwing it in 4-by and slamming in to holes is a good way to break a few things all at once! lolol

'98 ZJ 4.0/242, Locked d30/d35, 31x10.5x15, 2" BB w/ Bilstein 5100's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.