Question about cost of used 249 transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question about cost of used 249 transfer case

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Question about cost of used 249 transfer case

I have a 1997 grand cherokee in to fix the 249 TC.

The shop checked the local market for a used TC. He said the one he found was going to be $600(1 month warranty) plus another $100-$200 to replace.

I checked around and the two local places have them for $250(1 month warranty). So is it safe to assume is marking up the used TC $350?

We are hoping that when he opens it up that it isn't too bad and can be rebuilt which would come with a 1 year warranty.

Need advice.
Thanks
BIH

bigislandhikers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea that is way expensive. Never swap a used 249 anyways. No way to tell how long the viscous coupler will last or how worn it is. A new VC should last about 130,000 miles. That is way longer than a year warranty.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Around here the standard markup on parts is about 100%. So a customer would get charged $500 for a $250 part. I used to run the commercial desk at my store on the weekends so I talked to a couple dozen shops. There is probably a good deal of geographic variance in amount of markup though.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Either way, unless you have documentation that it has a new or relatively new VC, don't waste a penny on a used 249. And even then, documentation can easily be faked.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

$150 max for ANY used t-case. As for the 249, if the donor rig has verifiably less than 150k then chances are it will last longer than you own the vehicle.

If your plan is to use the rig as a winter driver then throw in a new viscous coupling and keep the 249. If you are building a trail rig then swap in a 231.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I can get a used transfer case on carmonkey.com for less than $800. It comes with a 5 year warranty.

http://www.carmonkeys.com/1997-JEEP-...roductId=55787

On automotix.com they have them for less than $400 with a 1 year warranty

http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...FSJqMgod5WkAtA

A lot better than $600 for a 1 month warranty.
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandhikers View Post
I have a 1997 grand cherokee in to fix the 249 TC.

The shop checked the local market for a used TC. He said the one he found was going to be $600(1 month warranty) plus another $100-$200 to replace.

I checked around and the two local places have them for $250(1 month warranty). So is it safe to assume is marking up the used TC $350?

We are hoping that when he opens it up that it isn't too bad and can be rebuilt which would come with a 1 year warranty.

Need advice.
Thanks
BIH
A little confusing since they're going to charge you $600 for the used jy TC, $100-$200 to install, and are there also going to be rebuild charges w/parts when he opens it up on top of that?

I paid $275 for a 242 TC jy shelf unit with new front/rear seals with a 3-month or 6-month warranty. Know the 242 is a whole different animal than a 249 but would think the prices would be about the same. Yep, that shop you're using is doubling the selling/buying price most likely.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
A little confusing since they're going to charge you $600 for the used jy TC, $100-$200 to install, and are there also going to be rebuild charges w/parts when he opens it up on top of that?

I paid $275 for a 242 TC jy shelf unit with new front/rear seals with a 3-month or 6-month warranty. Know the 242 is a whole different animal than a 249 but would think the prices would be about the same. Yep, that shop you're using is doubling the selling/buying price most likely.

He is going to open up the old one to see what parts need to be replaced. Didn't sound like there be any additional charges if we end up going with used TC.
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
He is going to open up the old one to see what parts need to be replaced. Didn't sound like there be any additional charges if we end up going with used TC.
Well you can't tell visually or by hand if the VC is bad on a 249. The only way to tell is by driving with the case installed.
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Do most shops allow the customer to find their own part(TC)? If so, don't they lose a portion of their profit?
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Do most shops allow the customer to find their own part(TC)? If so, don't they lose a portion of their profit?
Most shops around here don't precisely because they lose a lot of their profit on parts. There were a couple times when I sold parts that a customer would return parts because the shop wouldn't install customer parts then turn around and have the shop buy them from us. The shops also like to buy their own parts so they get good quality parts which cuts down on warranty work.

One of our commercial delivery drivers was married to a shop owner and she said they can't make money just on labor. They should be adding a few buck on there for shop supplies too, a few towels, carb cleaner, hand cleaner for each customer adds up.

Now for junkyard parts like the TC they would probably make an exception with a note on the receipt that the warranty only covers installation.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Just buy a new VC and give it to them to install. They can visually inspect all the other parts in case of anything else but the likelyhood of anything else being bad is very low. A new VC will last you another 150K so it should outlast the rig and you will be troublefree until then.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Aceladriver

All of what they said ^

No way to test a used Tcase so that's a huge gamble.

Seems crazy that carmonkey would give a 5 year warranty on a used 249. That's just asking for trouble, LOL.

There's the whole 242 swap. I haven't done it myself. Heard there's some minor messing around required and it really depends on the year/vehicle you get it from - but the 242s Part Time is like having the 249 (I think, LOL. Always confuse PT and FT functions)

If you want a good TC you could get one from George at TCU. He also does the 249/247 hybrid so you don't have to worry about your VCs ever again
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceladriver View Post
All of what they said ^

No way to test a used Tcase so that's a huge gamble.

Seems crazy that carmonkey would give a 5 year warranty on a used 249. That's just asking for trouble, LOL.

There's the whole 242 swap. I haven't done it myself. Heard there's some minor messing around required and it really depends on the year/vehicle you get it from - but the 242s Part Time is like having the 249 (I think, LOL. Always confuse PT and FT functions)

If you want a good TC you could get one from George at TCU. He also does the 249/247 hybrid so you don't have to worry about your VCs ever again
242 full time is crap compared the the 249. Also you are right. George at TC unlimited. If you are going to drop that kind of cash you may as well get something built right. I would definitely go with George. mhttp://www.transfercase.com/
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
242 full time is crap compared the the 249. Also you are right. George at TC unlimited. If you are going to drop that kind of cash you may as well get something built right. I would definitely go with George. mhttp://www.transfercase.com/

I checked his site and didn't see anything for the GC when I ran a search.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.