Question about A/C - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question about A/C

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-08-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
the_oneills

Question about A/C

I have just installed a new evaporator and dryer in my 1994 Grand Cherokee 5.2, I have everything running but when I put the air on the Compresser dosn't come on and it used to. I have not put any Freon in yet. Do I have to put the Freon in or did I miss something puting it all back together.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Jim

the_oneills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #2
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

If there is no Freon, then the Compressor will not spin. I believe that is the easiest way to determine when you are out of Freon .

-Christian
Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_oneills
I have just installed a new evaporator and dryer in my 1994 Grand Cherokee 5.2, I have everything running but when I put the air on the Compresser dosn't come on and it used to. I have not put any Freon in yet. Do I have to put the Freon in or did I miss something puting it all back together.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Jim

There is a pressure switch inside the compressor that will not allow it to run empty. It's designed to keep people that run their A/C's without freon or oil from burning the compressor up.
Unread 05-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
liftedlimited13

i am a/c/ certified and what wvd said is exactly right. thats all. just go to wal-mart and get freon and the charging hose, dont waste your money on the kit that has the guages, you dont need that crap. just freyon and the hose.
liftedlimited13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I did just that the other night for under 15 dollars.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #6
the_oneills

Worked great thanks for the help one more dumb questions. Filled up A/C but having problem with the compresser staying on so I Jump wired the switch cumming out of the dryer and Air is Ice cold. If I plug it back in the Air dosn't work for crap. Compresser turns on for short time then of then on it's like a kid playing with a light switch. Is it bad to Jump wire it, I'm thinking of leaving it that way been working on this d??? A/C for about a week now. Any Idea?

Thanks in Advance again,
Jim
Unread 05-12-2004, 04:04 AM   #7
shadetree

is it that easy? my a/c don't pump out any cold air anymore but the fan still blows air into the cab. it just isn't cold. i was going to go to the dealer on payday but at $67+ an hour i'd like to save that money for future mods.

if anyone has a link or a direction for me to go in at making this a diy project then hook me up. i can go get the kit w/out the gauges and save a chunk of change then? with a '94 zj what type of freon does it take?

thanks in advance! my wife would be greatful too, since it's her dd.

-1994 ZJ Lifted and Locked...
-1983 CJ7 4.2ltr/Dana 300/Warn F&R bumpers...and some other goodies.

D.W.A. (Death Wobble Anonymous)
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2004, 06:55 AM   #8
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Worked great thanks for the help one more dumb questions. Filled up A/C but having problem with the compresser staying on so I Jump wired the switch cumming out of the dryer and Air is Ice cold. If I plug it back in the Air dosn't work for crap. Compresser turns on for short time then of then on it's like a kid playing with a light switch. Is it bad to Jump wire it, I'm thinking of leaving it that way been working on this d??? A/C for about a week now. Any Idea?

Thanks in Advance again,
Jim

Of course, it's not a good thing to circumvent any control circuit. The pressure cycling switch is used to prevent ice formation on the evaporator's core, this would obstruct air flow and cause system overheating, not a good thing.
The first thing to check is BAD PRESSURE CYCLING SWITCH AND CONNECTIONS. The pressure switch could have bad intermittent connections; also the terminals in the external connector may be corroded. The symptom was the a/c cycling on and off about three times per second. Television tuner cleaner (contact cleaner) and polishing the blade terminals on the switch could eliminate the problem.
Another common cause of short cycling is low freon (or 134a). Conversly, overfilling shouldn't cause short cycling, but will reduce cooling.

HTH
Unread 05-12-2004, 09:35 AM   #9
unholy

the part of th process that i haven't seen anyone mention is...
Evacuating the system of all air and moisture before adding the new freon...
This is an important step after breaking open your system to replace components...

Go someplace and have the system evacuated. Then refill with freon. And if you don't have a gauge set it's going to be really hard to get the proper amount of freon in...

I find it hard to believe the certified a/c tech above didn't tell you this....
unholy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #10
the_oneills

Ok not good to jump wire switch so I'll work on it somemore. Could it be the information about have the system evacuated would do this, should I take it in, could that be my problem? I have a gage set I bought to put the Freon in what should it read for preasure mine reads around 35. Owner before says it's the Compresser that Pepboys tested it and said it was bad but it works when I jump wire it?

I will clean all termanals and post back. I will try to get a new switch that goes on the dryer if that dosn't work will post the outcome.

Weekend mechanic know enough to get into truouble and sometime enough to get out.

Thanks guy's
Jim
Unread 05-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #11
schaaed1

Quote:
Ok not good to jump wire switch so I'll work on it somemore.

Jim -

I just filled my '98, and was observing the same on off symptoms you are. I tried filling it with one of the 'gauge kits' what I noticed was that when the compressor kicked in, the pressure dropped ... then it would cut out. Once the pressure rose again ... compressor went on and so on. Reading in the Haynes manual, it says that to correctly charge the system, the compressor needs to be running. Hmm, read a little farther and it says to jumper the switch like you did, to keep it running, then fill it. I put in 1 can, plus part of a second. The pressure leveled out (sorry don't remember the readings from the gauge) unjumped the connector and plugged it back in and life is good.

Mine system has not been apart (to the best of my knowledge) so I did not have to worry about evacuating it (did not even know you needed to).

Hope this helps,
Ed S
schaaed1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.