Question about adding a mechanical oil pressure gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question about adding a mechanical oil pressure gauge

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Question about adding a mechanical oil pressure gauge

At some point in the next couple months I plan on adding some gauges and fabricating an A-pillar gauge pod. One of the gauges I want to add is an oil pressure gauge. The stock electronic one does work, but I'd like to have a real gauge as well. Can I put a brass t-fitting or something in front of the oil pressure sender and tie in the mechanical gauge there, or is there a better place to install it?

Unread 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Not sure about a mechanical gauge into the stock gauge, if that's what you mean. I wouldn't run a mechanical gauge period... Friend of mine had a mechanical gauge fail at the connection inside the car, hot oil showers...
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I run a mechanical gauge on my turbo car. Just put a brass T fitting between the oil pressure sensor and the filter adapter. The trick to making it safer is to use -4 braided stainless AN line. The stuff I use is Teflon (PTFE) lined and is good from -65 degrees to 400 degrees and up to 3000 psi. You are looking at probably $50 for the aluminum ends and up to $100 or so if you go with stainless fittings.

Do not use the nylon or copper stuff at the parts store. I've had that stuff break.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Alright, sounds like I can use a t-fitting. I've used the nylon tube style gauge on other cars with no problems (chevy small block v8's are easy to plug into). The trick is to be real careful with the tube. One kink and it's done.
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Yep just a regular t fitting, they make them in a male-female-female version so you only need one piece.

The problem with nylon is that it gets brittle. It's the same stuff they made all the vacuum hoses out of and I think we all know how randomly brittle that stuff can get. The oil pressure plumbing has to deal with hot used motor oil as well. I had a nylon line break while I was driving. It broke about a foot from the engine where it made a nice gentle bend and was about a foot from anything else (old 67 F100 nice big engine compartment). But my biggest problem with nylon is that the compression ferrules that come with most the nylon kits are not the right kind for hard nylon hose so they twist when you tighten the fitting and cut into the hose. They work, but for how long?

The copper tube work hardens like crazy. Especially under vibration and heat cycles. It'll just crack.

Like they say, you pay your money and you take your chances, but for my money and piece of mind I'll either run braided stainless lines or bend up some double flared steel lines.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Well that's something to think about. I'm sure that I'll be able to track down a good deal on some good lines.
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

either that or use an electric gauge with its own sending unit. alot easier IMO but a little more expensive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.