Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-15-2003, 11:32 PM   #1
MaGGoT

Question

I recently purchased a 96' JGC Laredo. I dont really know a whole lot about cars. There is something next to the shifter that has 3 options. 4hi, a neutral one, and 4lo. Which one of these should it be set to? I dont do any heavy driving, just to school and back. Thanks for your time.

MaGGoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2003, 12:52 AM   #2
ninjit
1999 WJ 

4hi, almost always

neutral is to let you tow the car as it disengages the transmission.

4-lo is for off-road/heavy-towing/icy etc. extreme conditions.

That's probably a quadratrac II transfer case.
Look here for more info:
http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?c...epage&type=tab

That, the forum, and manuals are how I learnt about jeeps when I was looking for my car.

-Jit
ninjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2003, 12:58 AM   #3
ninjit
1999 WJ 

btw,

If you didn't get a manual with your car, you can order a replacement from Chrysler services:
http://www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com/

They're only $6 for the complete owners package (at least thats how much it cost me for my 99 GC Owners Manual set).

A nice thing to have around, to look things up (like which sticks are for which oil reserves).
Unread 09-17-2003, 01:49 PM   #4
automan25

Actually it's the Quadratrac I system. Quadratrac II didn't come out until the new Grand Cherokee design (WJ) was introduced.

The lever you speak of controls the gears in the transfercase. The transfercase is responsible to distributing power between the front and rear axles.

You will probably never need to use 4low unless you get into some serious offroading. The gear ratios in 4low are simply too low to use for normal driving. In addition 4low in the '96 and newer vehicles with the Quadratrac I transfercase (249) lock the front and rear driveshafts to each other. You run the risk of damaging your drivetrain if you use 4 low on bare pavement. Something to remember.
Unread 09-17-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
ninjit
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan25
Actually it's the Quadratrac I system. Quadratrac II didn't come out until the new Grand Cherokee design (WJ) was introduced.

The lever you speak of controls the gears in the transfercase. The transfercase is responsible to distributing power between the front and rear axles.

You will probably never need to use 4low unless you get into some serious offroading. The gear ratios in 4low are simply too low to use for normal driving. In addition 4low in the '96 and newer vehicles with the Quadratrac I transfercase (249) lock the front and rear driveshafts to each other. You run the risk of damaging your drivetrain if you use 4 low on bare pavement. Something to remember.
I thought quadratrac 1 didnt have a shifter or a low ratio mode. At least that's what the dealership told me when I got my car, and thats what's listed on the jeep website too.
Unread 09-17-2003, 08:17 PM   #6
madmanfrommars

Yeah I thought quadratrac didn't have a 4lo setting at all.
madmanfrommars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2003, 09:56 PM   #7
automan25

Well, my '93 has quadratrac I and it has a T-case shifter with 4Hi, Neutral, and 4Lo. Your dealer must not know what he's talking about. As far as I know, all the Grand Cherokees have always had T-cases with 4-lo.

Show me on the website where you are talking about. You've Piqued my interest.
Unread 09-18-2003, 04:58 PM   #8
ninjit
1999 WJ 

http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?c...epage&type=tab

Look at the section describing the different 4x4 systems offered by Jeep.

They even have a matrix that shows which systems are available on which models.
Unread 09-18-2003, 09:52 PM   #9
automan25

Well, you guys are correct. Quadratrac 1 does not appear to have a T-case shifter, at least according to Jeep's website. It would also appear, however, that this is only the case on the newer Grand Cherokees (WJ).

My Jeep, and MaGGoT's Jeep are the older design (ZJ). Now I know that my jeep has Quadratrac (probably referred to back then without a number designation as Quadratrac 2 didn't exist yet.) I would assume that this is also the case on MaGGoT's '96 ZJ.

If Jeep did in fact remove the low range gears from the newer system, that'd be a real shame. Why would anyone buy a Jeep with Quadratrac 1? I'd rather have the standard Selectrac.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.