quadrajunk-question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > quadrajunk-question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
obtuce duce

quadrajunk-question

Hello all,
I have a 98 GC limited (5.2 quadratrac). It seems like the t-case is binding some when making turns. I changed the fluid, and this did not help. I used dex III and a friction additive. (This is what the dealer said to use). Anybody?
Thanks.

obtuce duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
RockPaws

With the full time 4x4 drive quadratrac. You will feel what feels like binding. Its had to say what you are feeling. I have had 2 JGC with this system and they both felt the same. Best to take it in and have a technition drive it.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2003, 08:17 PM   #3
Stocker

Well, mine has not had that binding (yet!) and I don't think it is normal IMO, but I know some will disagree with me. If it binds up, slow speeds, tight turns, primarily when up to operating temperature, you may have the infamous failing viscous coupler in the 249 (AWD) transfer case. Try the search button and you should find several threads in addition to posts in this thread. Also take a look at JU and NAGCA.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! You're the second first-poster I've seen here today!
Unread 08-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #4
JEEPTECHNICIAN

viscous coupling time. They aint but about 900.00 bucks, thats all.
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 11:23 AM   #5
automan25

Better to replace the T-case with the 242. BTW, are you supposed to add friction additive to the 249 T-case? I don't recall the owners manual suggesting that you do that? I thought friction additives were for traditional posi-traction type devices, and not VCs.
Unread 09-02-2003, 05:12 PM   #6
JEEPTECHNICIAN

the 249 does not take anything but ATF. The only transfer case that takes anything special is the 247J.
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 07:02 PM   #7
Beerman

Sounds like it's time for a t-case swap.

there is alot of info at www.nagca.com

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.