Quadra-trac to selectrac swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quadra-trac to selectrac swap?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-06-2003, 12:36 PM   #1
ILoveto4x4inNC

Quadra-trac to selectrac swap?

Does anybody know if I can swap a selectrac into my quadratrac equiped 98 GC with the 5.2L V8? I actually use 4x4 for more than going to the store in the snow and HATE the quadratrac. It never seems like it fully engages even in 4low. I don't beat it in the rocks or swamps but do get into some pretty soft/slick mud holes when I go hunting so I don't need anything like an AtlasII. Any help/input would be aprreciated.

ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2003, 08:44 PM   #2
Cajunzj

yeah it can be done easy. a 242 would swap in with no problems. with a 231 you have to swap the input shafts. Either way I'm with you I hate Quardra-Crap. My next swap is probably the T-case. good luck.
Unread 02-06-2003, 09:03 PM   #3
SoCal_XJ

Here are a couple of websites of people who have swapped their t-cases to a 242.

http://www.duff.ws/grand_central/tc_...ansfercase.htm

http://208.171.83.42/JEEP/tech/np249.html

If the 2nd link does not work, go to this next link, and click on Tech Info on left side, and then click on the icon next to 249 to 242 swap. http://thiszj.luvs.it/

Good luck.

Andrew
SoCal_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 08:15 AM   #4
ILoveto4x4inNC

Thanks for the info. I have one other question though. Is there a differance between the transfer cases in I6 and V8 equipped Jeeps? Or will either one work as long as I get one from the same year as my Jeep?

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14

Last edited by ILoveto4x4inNC; 02-07-2003 at 08:20 AM..
Unread 02-07-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
SoCal_XJ

The input shafts may be different from various years and between the two engine/trans. I'm not certain but that would seem one possible difference.
If you buy it from a parts yard of dismantler, be sure to ask them and if they guarantee it will fit your year, have them put it on the sales slip. I bought a fuel tank skid from a parts yard for my '99, and when it didn't fit they said I should have known!

Andrew
SoCal_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #6
ILoveto4x4inNC

Thanks for the info socal. I will be buying it from a salvage yard. A new one is a little too pricey for my budget. I have a pretty good salvage yard down the road a ways from me. I've used them before for my Blazer and they said if it didn't work I could bring it back to them. I have to wait for a while before I can do the swap as it's my wife's Jeep and our only vehicle and she needs it to get to work everyday. Hopefully we can get another vehicle for her before deer season in the fall so I can get the GC ready for hunting duty. Thanks again for the info.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

Unread 03-18-2003, 09:30 AM   #7
ILoveto4x4inNC

I have the opportunity to pick up a 242 out of a 91XJ for cheap. Will I have to make any mods to it or will it be a "bolt"? If it's too much headache I'll just pass on it and wait until I can afford one from the junkyard.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.