Quadra-Trac operation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quadra-Trac operation?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 02-10-2003, 09:51 PM   #1
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

Quadra-Trac operation?

I'd like to know if anyone could help me answer some questions about the Qudra-Trac system on my GC?

- Is it true that the system is normally in 2WD and when it senses wheel slippage it automatically engages 4WD?

-Does the front & rear diffs lock up when shifting into 4LO? If so how does it work?

-Is there anyway I can tell if my GC has the 3.73 ratio rear diff?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm really interested in knowing everything about my Jeep.

Thanx again!

Unread 02-10-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

From what I understand Quadratrack is sorta like two limited slip diffs you will have at least one tire on each axle pulling at all time.(someone correct me if I am wrong here) As far as locking in at 4 lo it doesnt happen it only changes the final gear to a lower gear ratio..
Your rear end gear should be stamped on a tag on the diff itself.
Again this is my understanding and I have been wrong before.
Unread 02-11-2003, 03:49 AM   #3
Howler

OK here you go. On a 97 ZJ full time 4wd system the wheels operate at a 20% front to 80% back. When the rear slip ths is detected by the VC, viscus coupling (sp?), which engages the front wheels to correspond with the back. Basically when the rear slips, your front engage to give you all 4 wheels. Now in 4 LO on a Quadra-Trc system this only locks the front and back. Unless you have a locker or limited slip in the rear this means that even though you are in 4 LO you can still have a wheel spine because of loss traction and the other tire on the same axle will just sit there. So if you have one tire on the front that has no traction, say stuck in mud, then the other front tire will just sit there looking bored. But the rear tires which have traction will keep working and therefore get you out. Now if you take the same senerio with the front and put it ALSO in the back the you will not be going anywhere because you will have two tires that are slipping and two tires that are not doing anything.
Make sense?
Howler
Unread 02-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #4
zcubed

So adding lockers would fix this problem??? Would it be best to have lockers front and rear??? What about the person who won't be doing any hard-core 4-wheeling -- occasional mud on a hunting lease, but not doing hard-core bogs -- should the q-trac system be okay as is??? Or, is it best to add the lockers???
zcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2003, 12:54 PM   #5
Howler

The quadra-trac system works realy great. I don't think you will require lockers if you only doing occasional mud. I still do not run lockers and I do intermediate to hard core (but not stupid) off-roading with mine. I might pick up a set for the front later this year but no rush. As long as you have someone with you to tug you out then your fine.
Now to answer you questions about lockers on a grand, depending on what you have in the rear of your grand will affect this desision. If you have the dreaded Dana445A (aluminum 44) I don't think you can get a locker for that. This is what I have. That leaves only the front for a choice. If you have the Dana 35 then lockers are available but for you I think a limited slip would be fine. Personaly I don't like to spend that kind of money on something I would only use occasionaly. If you are looking for something like that then what I would do is check the scrap yards for a dana 35 with a limited slip if that is the rear axle you have.
Howler
Unread 02-11-2003, 07:32 PM   #6
zcubed

Thanks Howler. I'll probably wait a while before i do anything. I've had a 2wd ZJ for the last five years, but i just got a 4X4 ZJ a few weeks ago. I haven't even taken it in the mud yet. It may work fine for me as is, but i'll test it out before i do anything. It's just that the guys i'm on the lease with are all hard-core Z71 guys, who have always been quick to talk smack about my 2wd jeep, even though they get stuck from time to time. I want to be able to put them in their place now that i have 4wd. I want to be able to go places and do things in my jeep, that their Z71's won't be able to handle.
Unread 02-11-2003, 08:55 PM   #7
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

That shouldnt be a problem It is a jeep. Seriously though with a 97 it should be a dana 35 and lockers are readily available for around $300 I would sugest the rear first as that is your primary
axle. And with the quadratrack I am not sure if you can run a front locker by itself .. I may be wrong.
Good luck and show those Z71's what up.
Unread 02-11-2003, 10:28 PM   #8
zcubed

Thanks, swampboy. Actually, mine is a '98. I'm gonna crawl under it tomorrow and see if can find the number. I already kinda silenced them a little bit the last time we were there. It rained hard the whole time, and it gets just plain sloppy out there when it rains. My blind is closest to camp, but you can't drive anywhere out there that it's not slick. BUT, my 2wd did just fine, and those Z71 boys took note. They were getting stuck. They said it was because they were further out on the lease, and that it was worse out there. LOL I can't wait till the next time we're there, and i've got 4wd. I may even charge 'em 20 bucks to pull 'em out. LOL
Unread 02-12-2003, 10:39 PM   #9
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

Thanx alot guys, you really cleared up alot. Its funny cause before i looked at this thread today, i got a chance to answer my own question. Today, while i pulled into my driveway, my right front and left rear tires got stuck on a patch of ice. I noticed that the jeep wasnt movin so i figured the 4WD wasnt engagin, but it was. The two tires on ice would just slip away and the jeep wouldnt move. So, figuring the diffs locked on 4LO i shifted the trans. case but nothin happen. I got stuck. Bummer, my jeep kinda let me down, not to mension the s**t i got from my friends for thinkin i was unstoppable with my jeep and for gettin stuck with a 4X4. But I dont care, now that i know how it works, im savin up for limited slips and lockers, to prevent it from happenin again.

Thanx again for the input.

Last edited by ZJGuido; 02-12-2003 at 10:44 PM..
ZJGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 08:18 AM   #10
Howler

Zcubed if you have a tow package you''' have the 44A. If not you probabably have thew 35. Your ZJ will surprize them for sure. Really it is all in the way you drive. When I was stock I ran with some pretty lifted people and lets just say they thought I should be out getting groceries but now they call on me to test the waters. And most are still bigger then me. The difference you will have with your ZJ over the z71 (pick up right?) is that you have weight in the back that will keep you moving while they usually don't. If you need to have travel with your suspension then you could always disconnect you sway bars and allow you axles to float. This will give you a lot more travel for traction and also be quite impressive considering you have all coils.

ZJGuido glad to see you answered your own question. that really is the best way to do it in my book.

Howler
BTW mines a 97 and I have the 44A with 4.10 gears. Works nice but I need to protect my rear axle.

To boldly go where no grand has gone before.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.