quadra-drive not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > quadra-drive not working

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
clintgoldstein

quadra-drive not working

I just bought my Jeep a few months ago. Its a 2000 grand cherokee with quadra drive. I noticed right away it had worse traction in snow and ice than my civic. (unless I put it in 4-Low). So I had a friend watch as I put in on some ice and then some mud and purposely lost traction. I wanted to see if the quadra drive was sending power to the front wheels like it was supposed to. My buddy said when I made the tires spin out the front wheels weren't spinning at all, It was just rear wheel drive. The 4-low works at least and I can use that if I get stuck. However it sucks the all-time 4 wheel drive "quadra-drive" doesn't work because now I don't have a 4-hi. Any ideas on whats going on?

clintgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Relocating to the correct forum...
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

change oil in transfer case. i think it uses a Jeep dealer only fluid.....
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

^^ that would be my first step. You must use the proper fluid in the transfer case for QD to work properly.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
Turbonut

QuadraDrive is only the addition of VariLok diffs front and rear. The transfer case which is responsible for transmitting power to the front, is the same as the QuadraTracII, 247 T/C.
As stated above, get 2 qts. of the 247 fluid from the dealer, drain and refill and give it a try.
The Jeep will work in 4 wheel low as the front and rear shafts are locked together.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
doggboy

The 247 fluid from the dealer is actualy mobilfluid 424 which is a tractor hydrolic oil. I run amsoil ATH http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ath.aspx because I absolutely refuse to buy anything from the stealership I don't have to. My dealer wanted 18 bucks a qt for the 247 juice, amsoil is only 7.45. The mobilfluid is only sold in large buckets that cost like 50 bucks, but if you have a tractor shop around you, I bet you could get some pretty cheap.
doggboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Try changing the fluid, however I am willing to bet the PC (Progressive Coupler) in your TC (Transfer case) is shot.
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
clintgoldstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Try changing the fluid, however I am willing to bet the PC (Progressive Coupler) in your TC (Transfer case) is shot.
Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate it alot.

If it is the PC, is that a lot of money to fix?

Also, can I change the fluid myself?
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintgoldstein View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate it alot.

If it is the PC, is that a lot of money to fix?

Also, can I change the fluid myself?

Changing the fluid is very very easy. Make sure to get "NV247 Transfer Case Lubricant" from the dealer.
Oh, and make sure you're able to get the fill plug open before you open the drain plug on the t-case.

If the PC is shot yes it will be expensive. You have a couple of different options:
1) Rebuild your TC (expensive and not easy to find parts).
2) Find a used 247 and replace it with (but then it's hard to know the condition of the used unit).
3) Find a used NV242 TC and put that in instead. This is a popular option since a 242 can be found much cheaper than a 247. You do however need some more parts like the rear drive shaft and a new shift console if you want the transfer case modes to be labeled correctly.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
clintgoldstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDFoot View Post
Changing the fluid is very very easy. Make sure to get "NV247 Transfer Case Lubricant" from the dealer.
Oh, and make sure you're able to get the fill plug open before you open the drain plug on the t-case.

If the PC is shot yes it will be expensive. You have a couple of different options:
1) Rebuild your TC (expensive and not easy to find parts).
2) Find a used 247 and replace it with (but then it's hard to know the condition of the used unit).
3) Find a used NV242 TC and put that in instead. This is a popular option since a 242 can be found much cheaper than a 247. You do however need some more parts like the rear drive shaft and a new shift console if you want the transfer case modes to be labeled correctly.

Well thanks again for the help. I went over the maintenance logs from the people that sold it to me and it said they had to fix a leaky transfer case once before so I'm hoping thats it.

If it is the PC I simply dont have the means to fix it. I'll just use it as RWD and shift into 4-lo when stuck. If I have to do this will it damage the car in any other ways? In other words is this something I have to fix?
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

No damage in doing that, at least no more then is already present.

For the PC you can either find a replacement PC online, probably $400 ish for one plus installing it (removing the TC, opening it up, replacing, and then reinstalling. Or you could find a junkyard TC (quite a bit cheaper - $100ish probably).
Unread 04-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
Envygreen

If the move was made to the 242 what becomes of the vari-lok system does it still work as designed when engaged in 4 hi or do you replace the diffs too?
Envygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

They are independent...everything works as normal still.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.