putting pwr dl and pwr windows into a vehicle that doesn't have em? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > putting pwr dl and pwr windows into a vehicle that doesn't have em?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-05-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Scott atah

putting pwr dl and pwr windows into a vehicle that doesn't have em?

OK....so i'm about to pick up a grand cherokee...pretty solid price....an awesome vehicle all around cept for the fact that the idiots got a vehilce just bout fully loaded except pd and pw (buncha morons).

My question is....what all exactly would i have to do to make this vehicle have pw and pd? I know all vehicles come wired for all options from the factory whether they have them or not....but....help me out here please.

Scott atah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I have not done this but to save money, start at a junk yard. Strip the insides of all four doors. Spring is here and bees will start to nest soon. Working inside the doors is a major hassle. The access openings are not made for big hands. You will also drop several screws/nuts inside the door so bring a magnet on one of those flexible do-hickies that can be found at Dollar Stores. It will not be a quick job at the Junk yard or after you start to upgrading the doors. I would leave things alone, that way your doors & windows will always work If you still choose to upgrade then you will absolutely need the wiring schematics from Haynes or a FSM. Good Luck.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #3
DellMan

I have replaced power window assemblies in other cars, and surprizingly the hardest part was just getting the inside door cover and the sound deadening materials off (which was not too difficult).

Another tricky part is finding all the screws that need to be removed to get the assembly out. Most all have access holes in the door, so where there is a hole, there should be a screw (that sounds bad).

Now to your question about adding power windows to a non power door... if your assumptions of pre-wiring are correct, and also assuming the window glass mounts are the same, and the door also has mounts for the power assembly.. it should take no more than 1 hour per door. Note: the left and right power assemblies are different.

Oh.. I am also assuming you have a way to cover up the hole left for your existing crank. I am begining to think you man just want to buy 4 doors, strip them completely, then sell back the unused parts. It will probably save you a ton of fuss in the Junk Yard.
DellMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Don't forget the rear hatch door can be power locked. It is too bad the rear window does not move.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
nodkaGSR

Power Door locks are fairly easy. You can buy an aftermarket kit for relatively cheap on ebay. I put power door locks on my family's beater Bronco II. There are tricky parts, but nothing a little patience can't solve.

As for the windows, it is a little tougher. Your best bet would be to buy doors from a junkyard. That way they'll look more finished. I know there are some places that sell kits aslo. Check out JC Whitney for that.
nodkaGSR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.