JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Putting money into a 97 ZJ with 230k. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/putting-money-into-97-zj-230k-1622009/)

martymars 09-25-2013 11:11 AM

Putting money into a 97 ZJ with 230k.
 
My Jeep needs some work. Damn rust took out my rocker and it made its way into the wheel housing. Engine runs fine. Tranny still seems good. Gonna need new shocks (dips and rolls like crazy) Make a long story shorter. Its gonna cost some $$ to fix the problems and get it where I want it to be.. Worth it or would you scrap it at this age and mileage?

PolkaPower 09-25-2013 11:32 AM

No keep it and replace the worn out parts. Unless the motor or trans is pooched. It will be reliable, feel great to drive again, and you will know it's history. You won't get that with another used vehicle. It's like starting over. You may have to dump money into the new used one.

New control arm bushings and shocks for starters. That will make it feel new again.

Rushton623 09-25-2013 11:38 AM

Mine has 305K, I've put around 5000 into it between lift tires rims transmission rebuild, starter alternator battery power steering pump water pump. Replaced my rockers as well. But once you do dump a bit of money into it you have a solid vehicle again!

martymars 09-25-2013 11:56 AM

Thanks for the feed back guys but still feel that way looking at the rust repairs needed? lol

http://s22.postimg.org/nmvi740up/Picture_001.jpg

http://s22.postimg.org/tmj9arln5/Picture_002.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/954bmqg0r/Picture_015.jpg

http://s22.postimg.org/kikuabk29/Picture_003.jpg

http://s22.postimg.org/lywcsgmz5/Picture_011.jpg

Cladding is off because I was going to paint it. Thats when I found the rusted mess underneath.

http://s22.postimg.org/zd9fohtn5/Picture_016.jpg

bigchieftaco 09-25-2013 12:07 PM

I'd fix it. I just put a new rocker on mine a couple weeks ago. Wasn't too hard. You will have to rebuild the inner part too, where the bottom of the rocker connects.
Ebay has them for $35 each.

PolkaPower 09-25-2013 12:29 PM

If the rust has gone too far like into the control arm mounts and other vital places I would probably trash it but then again I don't have the skills to repair something that far rusted. Just depends on how bad the rust is. Have you found all of it yet?

bigislandhikers 09-25-2013 12:48 PM

Depends how you feel about the Jeep. I have 201,000 on my 1997. Exterior and interior is still in good shape but have had issues with the tanny and TC. I still turn around and admire it after I park and I love driving it so I decided to fix.

BIH

jeep93GCL 09-25-2013 12:53 PM

Keep it bro fix the rockers rockauto has them for 20 bucks.....trust me i try give up on my jeep but it to hard to let go to the junk yard so i try fix if i cant i ask questions here n hope my jeep buddies can help me out

martymars 09-25-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 16309625)
If the rust has gone too far like into the control arm mounts and other vital places I would probably trash it but then again I don't have the skills to repair something that far rusted. Just depends on how bad the rust is. Have you found all of it yet?

Doesn't look like it's that far gone into the vital areas yet, but it's creeping that way. Here is a few more pics I just grabbed.

http://s17.postimg.org/xzn7yqidb/Picture_018.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/7ij3x6av3/Picture_021.jpg

This one makes me a little worried. This is at the rear.
http://s17.postimg.org/cfwoiacu7/Picture_022.jpg

martymars 09-25-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigislandhikers (Post 16310169)
Depends how you feel about the Jeep. I have 201,000 on my 1997. Exterior and interior is still in good shape but have had issues with the tanny and TC. I still turn around and admire it after I park and I love driving it so I decided to fix.

BIH

I love the damn thing.. I got it after my father passed away. It was his. So there is that, but if it's a lost cause I might just have to let it go anyway.

bigislandhikers 09-25-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martymars (Post 16310425)
I love the damn thing.. I got it after my father passed away. It was his. So there is that, but if it's a lost cause I might just have to let it go anyway.


I know what you mean. I also have an 89 xj that has sentimental value. Probably only worth $1000 but has alot more value to me so I keep putting $$ into it.

silent35 11-12-2013 02:29 PM

230k miles is nothing... im at 310 and all stock. still runs fine. take care of it and itll last 500k

zj97ltd 11-12-2013 02:39 PM

Personally rust scares the crap out of me, and with a unibody vehicle, it's that much more worrisome. Then again I also hate seeing a ZJ go to scrap. Maybe get some advice from good body/restoration shops in your area. See what they think, they deal with stuff like that for a living.

coralman 11-12-2013 04:16 PM

I would think for the cost of getting that back to normal might just creep into the range of finding another one with less damage. This is just stuff you can see, its what you can't that might be worse. If you were doing all the cutting out and welding in yourself that would be one thing,a shop might take you for quite a ride. Find one that needs the parts on yours that are good and swap them in. That way your dad will still be with you and helping you along into your next jeep experience:).

rlcii77 11-12-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 16308081)
No keep it and replace the worn out parts. Unless the motor or trans is pooched. It will be reliable, feel great to drive again, and you will know it's history. You won't get that with another used vehicle. It's like starting over. You may have to dump money into the new used one.

New control arm bushings and shocks for starters. That will make it feel new again.

This exactly... I have never understood the logic in letting go of a vehicle, especially a rather dependable one, in my experiences, only to obtain another used vehicle that's most likely going to need "work" done to it and some of it may be unforeseen due to an unknown history...

It seems that people don't realize that there is indeed a "service interval" that all parts are supposed to be changed at, regardless of current condition.... But, most of us, myself included, at least some of the time, will wait until a part fails to change or repair it... I'm a very firm believer and try to practice "preventative maintenance"...


The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.