Putting 95+ doors on a 93/94 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Putting 95+ doors on a 93/94

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Putting 95+ doors on a 93/94

Well, as some may know, the 95-98 ZJ's had awesome plug and play doors... 4 bolts and you just unplug the door from the Jeep. Easy!

Well, the 93/94 doesn't... or at least it's very different.

I picked up a 97 full power door to put on my 93 (which also is full power).

All the wires, of course, are different colors.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of both the 93/94 and 95+ for the doors?

81 CX500 - next victim...
aaron7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

It's not that simple...

It MAY work if it's a rear door, but the front doors can't simply be adapted, electrically.

Basically, in '93 to '95, all the electrical accessories were hard-wired. That is, the switches operated the accessories directly, or through a relay.

In '96, they changed the electrical architecture completely. The 2 front doors have computer modules that are built into the switches. The computers operate the accessories, and they communicate with each other and with the Body controller and other modules, and responsibilities are divided up among the modules. You can't just bring over one or some, you'd have to bring them all.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

So... are the lock solenoid and window motor the same connector? Like, can I pull the whole harness out of the 97 door and just wire my 93 harness into it?
Unread 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

bumpity

10char
Unread 05-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

The doors on my 93 are plug and play doors, theyhave 4 bolts holding them on and the wire plug with the torq bolt holding in on. It took me like 5 mins to remove the door for the first time. You should be able to just switch wire harness I would think.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
So... are the lock solenoid and window motor the same connector? Like, can I pull the whole harness out of the 97 door and just wire my 93 harness into it?

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish... I don't know if the lock and window motors have the same connectors as earlier years. Probably. But if you have to swap in your old wiring harness, trim panel, and switches, what's the point?
Unread 05-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

What's the point? My door is rotted apart so I bought a new one. Paid $100 for a complete door off a 97 and would like to use it.
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Ah, that explains it. It sounded, from the original post, that you just wanted to "upgrade" to later doors. A lot of people ask if it's possible to swap the door panels, so I wasn't sure which direction you were heading.

So, again, I'm not really certain if the plugs are the same, but you'd have to strip the door down to take out the wiring harness, so at that point, it wouldn't be much more work to take out the window and lock motors, too, if you need to.

In checking some parts sources, they list window motors as fitting 93 to 98, so they should be plug and play, but for door latches, they list one for 93, one for 94-95, and one for 97. Not sure if the plug would be different or not.
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Ok cool. The window assembly was the one thing I didn't want to mess with. Locks aren't too bad.
Unread 05-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
WickedZJ
1994 ZJ 

Once you get the swap done let us know what it took to do. All four of my doors and my hatch are getting pretty rusty and I am going to need to get them replaced. If it isn't too hard gives me a better range of options when looking for doors.
WickedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
It's not that simple...

It MAY work if it's a rear door, but the front doors can't simply be adapted, electrically.

Basically, in '93 to '95, all the electrical accessories were hard-wired. That is, the switches operated the accessories directly, or through a relay.

In '96, they changed the electrical architecture completely. The 2 front doors have computer modules that are built into the switches. The computers operate the accessories, and they communicate with each other and with the Body controller and other modules, and responsibilities are divided up among the modules. You can't just bring over one or some, you'd have to bring them all.
I'm going to back up this statement. All of the switches and such are different and you would need the body wiring and such, basically you would need to completely upgrade to an OBDII set up.

I haven't noticed a difference between door lock actuators and power window motors, My bet is that they are the same plugs. But let us know what you find!!!
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.