Purple /black and white/ black wires behind head unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Purple /black and white/ black wires behind head unit

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
richh789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Purple /black and white/ black wires behind head unit

Installing a head unit into a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited, everything turns on but no sound comes out. There's a white and black wire and a purple and black wire with a plug that I don't have hooked to anything. I wasn't sure if these turn on the factory amp under the rear seat. Or if I just need to run speaker wires to each of the speakers.

richh789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

Well are you trying to utilize the factory amp, or bypass it?
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
richh789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I believe previous owner used amp. Stock harness is there, the radio has jeep harness on it. I would like to use amp if possible
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
um7267
1998 ZJ 

Did you use a wiring kit or butcher the stock wiring?
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
richh789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Pioneer Radio came out of a xj and has harness on it. They appear to be the same plugs, and plugs right in
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richh789 View Post
Installing a head unit into a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited, everything turns on but no sound comes out. There's a white and black wire and a purple and black wire with a plug that I don't have hooked to anything. I wasn't sure if these turn on the factory amp under the rear seat. Or if I just need to run speaker wires to each of the speakers.
I believe those colors are used for the CCD bus. In the limited models the head unit communicates through the CCD bus to synchronize the clock with VIC. So I doubt you need these wires for you aftermarket head unit.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
richh789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this thing? Or am I better off just running all the wires and ditching Factory amp
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Bypass factory amp and you're good. Search on how to bypass it, I believe you just plug the connectors together somehow? Not 100% sure, never had to do it.
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Wheeler97
1997 ZJ 

The wires may be different for an xj. I tossed the paperwork from my radio upgrade. I didn't have to do anything special on mine to get the factory amp to work. Might try getting a new plug adapter from Wally World. They're under $20.
Wheeler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
richh789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The radio from xj didn't have power antenna wire hooked up. That must work as an amp remote. Got it working now
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Mad-Duke
1997 ZJ 

97 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

So I ran into a similar issue... I made life lesson mistake and butchered the stock connector, not realizing until after there are adapters to connect to the aftermarket radio.

The wire diagrams I used explained all the wires except for the Purple/Black and White/Black wires....

The issue I am having is I am receiving no sound out of any of my speakers. I get power to the new radio but no sound. Any suggestions or ideas that I could try to get this working?
Mad-Duke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Mad-Duke
1997 ZJ 

So Does anyone know what the Purple/Black and White/Black wires do exactly?
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Duke View Post
So Does anyone know what the Purple/Black and White/Black wires do exactly?
If I'm not mistaken those are the wires for the steering wheel radio controls. I have the OE radios in mine, but I've read on here that if you install an afternarket radio in a jeep with steering wheel controls and don't use an adapter you'll have no audio.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Don't forget to bypass the factory amp if you have the infinity gold package!
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
Mad-Duke
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling View Post
If I'm not mistaken those are the wires for the steering wheel radio controls. I have the OE radios in mine, but I've read on here that if you install an afternarket radio in a jeep with steering wheel controls and don't use an adapter you'll have no audio.

Ken
Ya I currently have no audio.. I have an adapter inbound so hopefully this fixes my no audio issues when it arrives and I set it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Don't forget to bypass the factory amp if you have the infinity gold package!
As a matter of fact I do. Do I have to bypass it? and how do I go about doing that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.