Pulsation in overdrive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Pulsation in overdrive

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
mpzj
1997 ZJ 

Pulsation in overdrive

97 Grand Cherokee, 4.0l.

When it drops down into the overdrive gears at high speed, there is a steady pulsating sound until I kick back into a passing gear.

Any Ideas? Ive already searched but didnt find anything helpful.

mpzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Could be the torque converter lock solenoid is fluctuating/not holding pressure or the torque converter itself. Have you done a torque converter stall test?

Look at your pulleys while idling, do any of them wobble?

Is your transmission fluid clean and at the proper level? Original transmission mount?

Could also be a wheel/tire defect or driveline imbalance, how are the U-joints?

Try cruising up to 50mph or so, then shift into neutral and let it coast down to see if you still feel vibration. If you do then it's probably not the torque converter since it's disengaged.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

do the rpms jump 200-300 in time with the pulsing?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
mpzj
1997 ZJ 

They do not jump. The pulsing goes away if i let off the gas.
mpzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

transmission output bearing.

Unread 05-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I've been chasing this for years!! Ratmonkey, how certain are you that it's the transmission output bearing? Is this something that a lot of people (except me and the OP ) just know about Jeeps? I took my ZJ to a local driveline shop I've dealt with a few times (getting driveshafts made) and they had no suggestions... is this thrumming something you personally have cured with a tranny output bearing?

I'm at the point with this that replacing likely culprits (motor and tranny mounts, u-joints, fluids, driveshafts, diff gears and bearings) has been tried to no avail, and I was about to try rebuilding the transfer case to eliminate the bearings in it (I've already changed the transfer case slip yoke bushing, and that made no appreciable difference). But I haven't replaced any bearings in the tranny, sounds like maybe it's time!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

It's the main diagnosis for that kind of problem in the factory service manual.

Unread 05-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Ratmonkey, thanks for passing this along. You are the first person in many threads who has suggested the tranny output bearing!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

It's not common, but is a source of noise/vibration in that situation.

Unread 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
um7267
1998 ZJ 

i have the issue, but im almost positive that the transmission mount is the cause, i can see through the rubber. which leads me to believe the torque is making the front leak since the transmission is free to have some wiggle room, however ebay has them for around 25 so im ordering it today
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

having a bad mount won't make anything about the transmission leak. it won't move relative to the motor or anything that would effect the front seals.

Unread 05-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Your overdrive sun gear and/or planetaries could be highly worn. These only come under a load when the overdrive is engaged.
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

interesting reading this. I get a harmonic pulse (0 rpm change) when in overdrive around 65mph. Haven't noticed it since I had the lift put on though.
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

i've had this same thing for 75k miles with no change in ti
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooo ooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwww
sounds like that^ no rpm change no felling in the seat, i just figured it was harmonics of the drivetrain. it makes me sleepy
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
i've had this same thing for 75k miles with no change in ti
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooo ooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwww
sounds like that^ no rpm change no felling in the seat, i just figured it was harmonics of the drivetrain. it makes me sleepy
Yup sad part is, the letters made my head repeat the sound. If there's any vibration from it, its drowned out from the speakers (nothing extreme). I assumed the same, its nothing. Not really wanting to have my od torn down and replaced parts for 0 reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.