Pulsating humming sound when using A/C - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Pulsating humming sound when using A/C

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Pulsating humming sound when using A/C

So since this is the first time I've had my Jeep where it was warm enough to use the A/C, I figured I'd give it a shot. It is nice and cold, and I didn't realize this until I got home and the engine wasn't making so much noise, but there is a pulsating humming sound that sounds like its coming from under the driver seat. I popped the hood and got out and couldn't hear it unless I was in the car. It is the automatic style controls, and when I turned off the A/C compressor (using the snowflake button) the humming stopped. It is very repetitive, maybe in a sequence like this: "hum for 1 sec, silence for 1 sec, repeats".

Any idea what this is? Low on coolant? Needs a new clutch?

Let me know if you need more info, thanks a bunch!

Oh and its the 6cyl engine, if that helps.

Unread 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Probably just a difference in load to the engine when the compressor kicks on causing a difference in sound/vibration throughout.
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

That makes sense, I did notice I had a lot less power once I turned on the A/C.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.