PS System HELP! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > PS System HELP!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

Remember there is more fluid in the whole system than in the reservoir. Right now you're just filling the system up. Keep doing what you've been doing and the leak will show.

Frankly I'd replace the steering box and the hoses. Pump is suspect too from being run while empty.

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #17
FlamingRain
1996 ZJ 

The overall objective here is to get the power steering to function again, but I can't do a complete box replacement.

Remember- the power steering no longer works at all, and I've narrowed it down to the box, the reservoir moves fluid out, but it leaks out- which I don't have the resources to replace (I'd have to buy one, and have someone install it as I haven't ever performed any kind of mechanical replacement on this scale. a big $$ grabber).

I wanted to see if there was a way to stop the leak to get the power steering to work again. I've read that LUCAS stop leak is pretty good at stopping a leak in the system - one thing I'm a bit sketchy on. It says it fixes most 'Rack and Pinion' problems. From what I know, ZJ's don't use Rack and Pinion, they use a reciprocating ball / gearbox configuration. If I used the stop leak would it seal the gearbox leak on the pitman shaft? Would it be more time worthy and money-worthy to rebuild (new seals) on the pitman shaft?

1996 Grand Cherokee Limited (ZJ) / 5.2L 318 V8 / Quadra-Trac
FlamingRain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #18
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

You need to find out if and where it is leaking from. You said you added fluid and then the level dropped again. Wipe everything down and keep adding more fluid until you find out where the leak is.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #19
FlamingRain
1996 ZJ 

I'll look again- but I'm more than sure it's where the the pitman arm connects to the box. Of all of the steering components I inspected, it was the only thing that wasn't clean, and it was totally caked in fluid.

1996 Grand Cherokee Limited (ZJ) / 5.2L 318 V8 / Quadra-Trac
FlamingRain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #20
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Just wipe everything down (hoses,connections,steering box,pump reservoir, etc)and then add fluid. Then you will be certain where the leak is coming from.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.