Project ZJ - Story of My First Jeep - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Project ZJ - Story of My First Jeep

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #61
dbrad5988

Ok so either way I go I'll be good

dbrad5988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #62
radean84
1996 ZJ 

The motor is still leak free!!!

I think my next purchase will be the KOR radiator support with tow hooks, but we'll see what gets added to the list after this weekend's test run.

My tow strap showed up and looks plenty beefy. ProComp 20,000 lb. This is to replace my Harbor Freight special.

Unread 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #63
cekmgreen
1998 ZJ 

where did you get the limiting straps
cekmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #64
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekmgreen View Post
where did you get the limiting straps
I don't recall the site but you can find them all over the net and on eBay. Just make sure you measure with a little allowance for stretch and get the beefy double thick ones with nice thick metal ends. Beard are great, think ProComp makes some too.
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #65
radean84
1996 ZJ 

After another test run at Prairie City I can finally say that the rear springs and removal of spacers solved my issues!! Enjoy some photos from today and I'll post the 36 minute video soon!!

Unread 03-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #66
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Ok guys, here's the latest footage of Project ZJ and some bonus footage of some other local ZJs! You'll notice I still need to do some more trimming/hammering up front, but my tires did not get damaged. Very happy with the Jeep's performance at this point, but I think my plans have changed - going to do long arms in the rear first, then the gears/lockers/axles.

Unread 03-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #67
Sourlemon
1996 ZJ 

That is a LOT of flex!! Lookin good!
Unread 03-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #68
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourlemon View Post
That is a LOT of flex!! Lookin good!
Thanks!! I can't wait till the rear flexes like the front!!

Here's an edited clip of the full video showing just the flex test footage:

And here's a video I made today since it was raining giving some tips on joint lubrication, squeaky suspension, tire pressure, handling, etc.

I'll keep you guys posted on the rear long arms and rockers/sliders because those are the next items on the to-do list.
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #69
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Just a quick update on the Jeep.

Yesterday I noticed that my exhaust was hanging down in the rear so I went to All Muffler Services in Rocklin and Mark/Mike hooked me up. I must have bumped a rock because the steel mount with the rubber hanger was broken off. It's welded back up now but eventually I want to have them run all new pipe and tuck it up as high as possible.

The MSD external coil was zip tied in place and the wires running to it were just wrapped around the bolt then smashed down with a nut. I cut the wires back, re-stripped them so they were nice and clean, then used the proper connectors to reattach to the coil securely. I also cut the zip ties and found an old clamp for an electric fuel pump which just happened to be the right diameter. There also just happened to be a hole in the fire wall right there so I bolted it in nice and tight.

I also finally bolted down the rear hatch trim piece so it would stop rattling!! Put some new decals on too, pics shortly.

Happy Friday!!
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #70
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
If you want a cooler running motor, separate the transmission lines from the radiator and give the transmission it's own larger cooler. After doing that my motor and transmission both run cooler.
Really? I was always taught to run the internal and external tranny coolers in sequence...is the external cooler you added sufficient by itself?
WJ - 4.7 H.O. Freedom
FastSUV is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #71
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSUV View Post

Really? I was always taught to run the internal and external tranny coolers in sequence...is the external cooler you added sufficient by itself?
Its a bit overkill. Tested it in the desert a few times before I moved and stayed nice and cool. Fluid temp gets to around 190 max in stop and go traffic on hot days. Keeping it in line is probably better in cold places but there us still the risk of killing the trans if the radiator warmer should break. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. Happened to a guy I know and killed his 44re.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #72
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Happy Friday!! Wanted to post a quick update because some goodies are in the mail:

-IRO rear long arm kit
-IRO on board air compressor
-JKS ACOS for the front
-Inner axle sleeves for the Dana 30 front axle
-Ujoint axle shafts with 760x Spicers and almost alloy kit for the Dana 30 front axle
-Solid front diff cover for the Dana 30 front axle

I think I'll install the ACOS first to bring the front up level with the rear, then the compressor, then the rear long arms. Hoping to have it wrapped up before May so I can go test everything out on my birthday, took some time off for my 30th. The front axle stuff is going to sit in the garage until I'm ready to do the 4.88 gears. Very excited to finally get the rear on long arms!!
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #73
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

When is your bday bro?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #74
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
When is your bday bro?
May 3rd, getting to be an old man!!
Unread 04-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #75
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Got the family stuff taken care of on Saturday so ended up spending Easter Sunday at the off road park with my girl. She gets nervous even being in the Jeep on some of the obstacles, but she drove a few of them. This is the last trip on the rear short arms. Next week the rear will finally be on long arms and the front will be about 2 inches higher on JKS ACOS. Can't wait!!

Here's the video from today:

Here's some footage of just one of the obstacles using the Go Pro camera, gotta adjust my xfer case linkage so it doesn't pop out anymore. Only happened twice today but it sounds so nasty when it happens!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.