Project ZJ - Story of My First Jeep - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Project ZJ - Story of My First Jeep

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #46
radean84
1996 ZJ 

And now I just found that Rusty's does have 5.5" rear springs for ZJs haha... oh well, I'll try the REs out since they're already on the way and if they are no good I'll try the Rusty's...

Unread 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #47
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radean84 View Post
Couldn't find any 5.5" rear springs specifically for a ZJ I called IRO because they have a 5.5" long arm kit, but they said I would need to order their XJ front 3" springs. I did some research and it seems like IROs springs are known to be a bit stiff, so since I have Rubicon Express on the front already, decided to get the same for the rear. Hopefully they work out okay but we'll find out soon enough!
I didn't know they were using XJ fronts for rears. That would make sense since the spring rate on the XJ springs would be less so they might not be too stiff in the rear. People use I6 ZJ front springs in the rear and say they are not as stiff. RE makes good stuff. Those fat tires will absorb some of the stiffness.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #48
radean84
1996 ZJ 

BAD NEWS!! The new water pump is defective and has a small leak so it's gotta come back off this weekend. The good news is O'Reilly is going to take the defective pump back and give me a new one under warranty. I think I'm going to swap out the 195 stat for a 180 stat during the process. 195 works great around town and on the highway, but sitting still for a long time out at the offroad park I felt like the electric fan was running too often. 160 was definitely way too low, so we'll see how 180 works out.

Hopefully this will be the last issue to deal with besides swapping the rear springs out when they show up.
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #49
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radean84 View Post
BAD NEWS!! The new water pump is defective and has a small leak so it's gotta come back off this weekend. The good news is O'Reilly is going to take the defective pump back and give me a new one under warranty. I think I'm going to swap out the 195 stat for a 180 stat during the process. 195 works great around town and on the highway, but sitting still for a long time out at the offroad park I felt like the electric fan was running too often. 160 was definitely way too low, so we'll see how 180 works out.

Hopefully this will be the last issue to deal with besides swapping the rear springs out when they show up.
If you want a cooler running motor, separate the transmission lines from the radiator and give the transmission it's own larger cooler. After doing that my motor and transmission both run cooler.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #50
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

If you want a cooler running motor, separate the transmission lines from the radiator and give the transmission it's own larger cooler. After doing that my motor and transmission both run cooler.
Yup yup yup.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #51
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Good tip!!! Thanks!!!
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #52
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Looks like the rear springs left Carson, CA yesterday afternoon, so they'll most likely be here today or tomorrow. If everything goes smoothly with the water pump swap Saturday morning, I should be able to squeeze in another test run this weekend. I don't anticipate anymore issues with the rear suspension, so it should just be a matter of watching the temp and adjusting the fan to work best with the 180 stat, and also watching for leaks of any kind.

LEAKS
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #53
radean84
1996 ZJ 

The Rubicon Express 3.5" front XJ springs showed up today. After work I headed to my local loading dock with my tools, disconnected the limiting straps, and flexed the Jeep out in order to knock out the old RE springs and 2" spacers which kept falling out during our test run:

Here's a shot of the old spring which was easy to remove once I got the spacer out of there - no compressing needed:

Here's a side by side, new vs old:

The new ones would not go in without being compressed a bit. Don't worry, I put the top in first haha, just took this shot after I got the strap rigged up. Luckily I've had plenty of practice at this haha gotta love ratchet straps!! So many uses!!

And here's a shot of the finished product. When I had only one side done I could tell the new springs sit just a little bit higher, probably less than an inch, but it sits nicely with the front:

Saturday at 7:00 AM we'll be ripping off the defective water pump so we can replace it with a new one. Hopefully I can go test out the new springs this weekend!
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #54
SBiscardi
1996 ZJ 

Looks great bro
SBiscardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #55
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Thanks!

New water pump is on and this one is not leaking.

195 thermostat has been replaced with a 180 and the electric fan was adjusted. Seems to be dialed in, but the true test will be at the offroad park. Seems like now the water/coolant is doing a better job keeping things cool and the fan is operating much less.

Front fenders have been trimmed and hammered some more. Back ones were hammered more as well, no trimming though. Love the additional clearance up front!!

I'll be taking her back to the offroad park for some testing soon. Until then, here's a quick video of the progress:

Unread 03-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #56
dbrad5988

So this was very helpful but one question should I go with a zj or xj now that you have been around for a while
dbrad5988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #57
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrad5988 View Post
So this was very helpful but one question should I go with a zj or xj now that you have been around for a while
Zj, get dat v8

sent from, uh
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #58
SBiscardi
1996 ZJ 

did you do a transfer case swap to that or are you still running 249
SBiscardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #59
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Interesting way to change springs and she looks damn good
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #60
radean84
1996 ZJ 

I prefer ZJ over XJ because V8 and because coil springs in the rear. Just personal preference though, they're both great vehicles.

I've not done a transfer case swap yet but it's on the to do list. Running a freshly rebuilt 249 at the moment.

Yeah my apartment complex doesn't like me working on my Jeep so sometimes I go to the local loading docks and get stuff done without being hassled. Sometimes trail fix methods end up working at home too haha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.