Project ZJ - Story of My First Jeep - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Project ZJ - Story of My First Jeep

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 03-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #31
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Thanks!

My buddy Joel pressed the new front seal into the new timing cover while I was doing something else so I didn't get to see what he used. Definitely not a special press though. Most likely a softened hammer or rubber mallet, possibly a piece of wood and hammer. Seems the important thing would be to get it lined up and driving in evenly right from the start. I'll ask him today and get back to you.

Unread 03-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #32
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
How did you go about replacing the front main seal behind the timing cover? Been reading up on that and the FSM requires some sort of special tool to press the new seal back in. Mine isn't leaking, so I may not touch it. Going to have the timing cover off so I figure I may, haven't decided yet.
Sorry, I missed the part where you said BEHIND the timing cover. The only thing we replaced behind it was the timing gears and chain, then replaced the cover itself and a new seal into the cover which was done with a hammer and wood.
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #33
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Where did you mount your upper mounting point for the rear limit straps?
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #34
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Removed my stock rear bump stops (they are now integrated into my shocks) and bolted the top of the straps where they used to go using the existing holes.
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #35
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Ah, I wouldn't use just those bumps tops otherwise you'll destroy the shocks.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #36
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Yeah I hear ya but I'm gonna try it out and see how it goes because the limiting straps do help relieve some of the stress by only letting the other side hang down so far which reduces how much it jams up on the other side. Eventually I'm doing the JKS ACOS adjustable coil spacers all around and will get the bump stops dialed in on those. Gotta wait for the money tree to grow back
Unread 03-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #37
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Went down to AutoZone and picked up a tiny OBD2 scanner with definitions, erasing, and live data. Figured it will come in handy for sure. Plugged it in and found 1 code, P0720 - Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit. Climbed under the Jeep and found that the sensor appears to be fine, but the wiring needs some repair. This may explain the strange transmission behavior I've been noticing. This also explains why the light didn't come on until I actually put the Jeep in gear and moved. I'll add this to my to-do list for tonight and hopefully no more CEL!!
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #38
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Got the front shocks and bar pin eliminators installed tonight. Still need to fix the output shaft speed sensor.

Shot of the IRO bar pin eliminators. Nice and thick, and the IRO design was a nice touch:

They fit perfectly, very easy to install:

New shock installed using the hardware and sleeve that came with the BPEs:

Comparing the old Rubicon Express shocks to the new Doetsch Tech 8000 Pre Runners:

The new shocks allow more down travel than the old. They have the perfect amount of up travel to let the Jeep flex, but also keep the tires from rubbing thanks to the integrated bump stops.

Couldn't be happier right now!! Gonna get a new pigtail for the transmission sensor tomorrow, then hit the local offroad park on Sunday with another ZJ. If any local ZJs want to come out, we'll be out at Prairie City Sunday afternoon.
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #39
radean84
1996 ZJ 

As promised, here's a video update of the IRO goodies:

Unread 03-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #40
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Here's a pretty detailed overview of how the new shocks are working out:

Unread 03-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #41
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Here's a real quick video on the JKS quicker sway bar disconnects. These things are sweet!

Unread 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #42
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Here's some awesome footage of the test run at Prairie City SVRA yesterday!! Fast forward past 6:38 if you don't wanna hear my BSing and just want to see the action. Bonus footage at the end of a submerged XJ and a 2wd Yukon getting crazy.

The test results are I need to get rid of the 2" spacers in the rear and just run 5.5" springs with no spacers. The spacers popped out a few times at full flex even with the limiting straps. Other than that everything was working great. I'll get the springs ordered ASAP.

Unread 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #43
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Just a quick update: Ordered 3.5" XJ front springs from Rubicon Express today. They should give me right around 5.5" of lift if I use them in the back of the ZJ. Hopefully they'll come within a few days so I can get them installed this week or weekend. I'm also looking into the KOR radiator support with tow rings and ordered a 20,000lb Pro Comp tow strap to replace my Harbor Freight special.
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #44
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radean84 View Post
Just a quick update: Ordered 3.5" XJ front springs from Rubicon Express today. They should give me right around 5.5" of lift if I use them in the back of the ZJ. Hopefully they'll come within a few days so I can get them installed this week or weekend. I'm also looking into the KOR radiator support with tow rings and ordered a 20,000lb Pro Comp tow strap to replace my Harbor Freight special.
Why didn't you just get 5.5 rear springs? The front springs are going to be stiff in the rear.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #45
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Why didn't you just get 5.5 rear springs? The front springs are going to be stiff in the rear.
Couldn't find any 5.5" rear springs specifically for a ZJ I called IRO because they have a 5.5" long arm kit, but they said I would need to order their XJ front 3" springs. I did some research and it seems like IROs springs are known to be a bit stiff, so since I have Rubicon Express on the front already, decided to get the same for the rear. Hopefully they work out okay but we'll find out soon enough!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.