Programming transmission WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Programming transmission WJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
tomas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Programming transmission WJ

Hi,

I have a jeep that many of you guys may never have heard of. Its a 99 WJ with a 3.1 turbo diesel from VM.
This car was produced for export only. Its identical to all other WJ's, except for transmission and engine.
I have a problem though, and was hoping for some input from you guys.

The lock-up only engages when passing 120km/t or about 75 - 80 mph. That is very high. All other jeeps with petrol engines have their lock-up engage at about 80km/t or 50mph. I suspect there might be a programming error from Jeep on all 3.1 WJ's. Somebody must have entered the wrong number or the wrong scale.
So my question is: Is it possible to reprogram when the lock-up should engage on ANY of the jeep automatic transmissions?

Hoping for answers!

Cheers!

Warn X8000i

Web: http://www.on-line.no//
++++++++
tomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
tomas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is it possible to program or alter when the lock-up engages on a WJ??

Anyone??
Warn X8000i

++++++++
Unread 02-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Rafd
1999 WJ 

Hi,
I'm in France, then, the 3.1 Turbo Diesel is known here.
On a french forum, one guy seems to have the same trouble, plus the first speed does not engages.
On his Gd Chee, the problem is maybe with the solenoïd, and the oil pressure sensor (not sure of the translation)

Hope you'll find some more information
Rafd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
tomas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hi everybody!!
I have spoken with Jeep in Norway and they are aware of the problem. They made an inquiry about my question and directed it to the factory that built Jeep for Europe. The factory is located in Gratz in Austria. They wouldn't listen, and answered that the 3.1 TD with the 44RE transmission was programmed to engage the lock-up at 122 km per hour. Therefor ALL WJ 3.1 TD acts the same. They won't create new software even though jeep work shops from all over europe have asked these questions since the car was new in 1999.
I have created a group at facebook to try to get hold of enough people across europe or maybe the whole world. This might turn into a signature campaign. If we can get enough members, maybe the factory has to listen to us.

When the lock-up don't engage, the car uses about 0,1 to 0,2 desilitres more per 10km, it polutes much more, and the transmission gets warmer and wears more rapid. And when you ad the fact that Jeep probably have received hundreds, if not thousands og questions about why every jeep transmission engage the lock-up at 75 km/h BUT the 3.1 TD one can wonder why they haven't created a new software for this transmission. They did it with the 45RFE to turn it into the 5-45RFE transmission.

So if you own a 3.1TD join my group, and maybe we can persuade Jeep to help us with new software for this transmission.

Please promote this Facebook group in you own country. I have so limited knowledge of all the national and local jeep clubs.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8077343&ref=nf
Warn X8000i

++++++++
Unread 04-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
baxy

look around for someone doing custom software
see if they can help
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas View Post
Hi,

This car was produced for export only.
No, it was produced "pre-exported" - in Austria, by Magna-Steyr, if I recall.
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Apparently somebody used 75 mph when he *meant* to use 75 kph...

Like I said, Chrysler has always gotten 3rd pick of the engineers...
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
tomas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbob View Post
Apparently somebody used 75 mph when he *meant* to use 75 kph...

Like I said, Chrysler has always gotten 3rd pick of the engineers...
I stated EXCACTELY the same thing, but they wouldn't listen. The claim the transmission is produced this way, and that it works according to plan. Therfore, the transmission is not faulty and they will not look into it.
Most roads in europe don't even have speedlimits high enough to engage the lock-up.
Warn X8000i

++++++++

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.