procedure from 4hi to 4lo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > procedure from 4hi to 4lo

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
69speed

procedure from 4hi to 4lo

Hi
What is the proper procedure to go from 4Hi to 4Lo on my '95 GC Laredo. I've been told to put her in neutral at a low speed and while coasting pull it in to 4Lo. I've tried it and everytime I give it a grind b4 it goes in. Is it something I'm doing or is this a "jeep" thing?

69speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

slow is barely rolling, and i have never had to kick in neutral for four low.. at times i have come to a complete stop
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

shift tranny to N. while coasting @ 2-3 MPH, FIRMLY shift level into 4LO. try this once or twice a day until the grinding stops. assuming you havent used the switch in a while and it just needs to free up. if you shift into 4Lo on pavement just make sure you dont turn at all, cuz using 4LO on pavement may damage something
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
bbehnke
2001 WJ 

what i do is shift into neutral let it roll for a little to free any stress and thenhold the brakes and go to 4lo then shift into 1 or 2
bbehnke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.