Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Problems Starting

901 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  woodman650 
#1 ·
Well with no search button I have to ask this.

To start I have a 96 ZJ with the I6.

My problem is the ZJ has been progressively getting harder to start. The enigne is turning slower and and longer with each start. I am assuming this will continue until i quits. What should I be looking for here? Battery, Starter, Alternator, Fuel filter, Fuel Pump.

Like I said, I would just search this but I can't. Thanks for the help with this guys.

#3 ·
first of all knock out the fuel filter and pump. Has nothing to do with your motor turning slowwwwwer. All you need to do is get a volt meter, see what your battery is putting out with the jeep off, than start it up and check it again. You'll be able to tell if its getting weaker with every start and if your alternator is trying to put juice in it. You should have around 12 volts DC when off than as much as 13.7-14 when running a good alternator. If those are both good than your starter is on its way out, and you should get one before it leaves you stranded. I waited before.....it sucks being stranded........Hope this helps....

#4 ·
Your battery does sound tired but here are some other tips:

Turning the key to the On position for 2 seconds, before starting the engine, pressurizes the fuel line. This method works like a charm if the check valve in the gas pump does not seal as well as it should.

If that does not help then I always start with the battery and the connections before assuming anything else. Once these two are confirmed to be good then I start digging a little deeper.

Next I would do a basic tune-up: spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air & gas filter. If you do these things yourself it will run you around $ 65. Note: not all Jeeps have fuel filters and some have distributor-less solid state ignition systems.

Now if the engine does not now fire-up immediately then I would measure the fuel pressure at the rail (which can be measured with a gage). This will tell you if the fuel pump is worn. Some jeeps need 32 psi while others need around 42 psi. I guess it depends on the type of injectors installed?

Coil, dirty throttle body, & leaking injectors are not to be ruled out but the above should get you on your way.

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips.

However, as I suspected it died shortly after I posted yesterday. I am now going to have to figure out if it is a battery or starter. I am turning the ignition on and everything works fine, but I get no turnover what so ever. Nothing. Either battery is dead or a starter. I am leaning towards starter. I put a new wiring harness in last fall so the connections are pretty good.

Any other tips? Thanks for the help guys.

#6 ·
It sounds like the starter was binding on it's bushings- ford starters do that all the time...

A quick test is to turn on the headlights(really on, not on "autopilot") and then turn the key- if the headlights get dim, along with the dash lights, I'd call it a battery. You did look at the charge guage for 14 volts when it was running, I hope!

In any case, as the other guy said, pulling out the battery and having it tested at the local parts store is usually free.

If no problem there, it's gonna be starter time- my 93 cherokee did the exact same stunt that yours did.

Also, be prepared to pick up a starter solenoid- sometimes, the current draw from a dying starter can fry the contacts and make even more frustration.

Hope this helps-
Dave

#7 ·
I've had a similar problem since I've owned my 2001... of course, everytime I take it into the dealership to get it checked out, the problem can't be replicated. Basically, my engine won't turn over, and when it finally does, it roars and a huge cloud of dark smoke comes out of the exhaust. I have no idea what causes it, but it seems to act up the most in hot and cold weather. any ideas on that one? haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.