problems with my front end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > problems with my front end

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
johneonthespot
1997 ZJ 

problems with my front end

Got a noise about a month ago that sounded like a cv joint going and figured I had a little while before it was critical, well today I found a bearing in my driveway. Now my question would it be cheaper to just go ahead and get a new front end, since I would love to beef it up anyway or to get new cv's and bearings?

johneonthespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Obviously you need a new axle shaft, or shafts, and maybe some unit bearing hubs. How much are they at your local auto parts store or junkyard ? What do feel needs to be beefed up, and what other axle do you think will provide this beefiness ? What will be the cost to buy, refurbish, re-gear, modify, and then install this new beefy axle ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

what bearing? are you talking a single ball bearing here?
just get new axle shaft(s) and get it fixed. i don't see why anyone would consider swapping a whole axle for a broken joint really.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I believe Rock Auto sells new front shafts with CV joints for around $40.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.