Problems with buying used... Please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Problems with buying used... Please help

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
91Jeepdude
1998 ZJ 

Problems with buying used... Please help

We bought a 98 ZJ 5.2 4x4 (Quadratrac) w/ 146,xxx miles for a reasonable price and it seamed to have little wrong... BUT...
My First concern is, after having it for about 2 weeks, after driving it (usually after a short run), when I put it in park and turn off the engine, it sounds off a thud/popping type noise and the whole thing will shake as if it were in gear and quickly pumping the breaks. This kinda freaks me out.

Secondly, when turning aprox. 3/4 to full turn, I get a noise like a whining and I get heave resistance that will slow me down to a stop. I do know that I need to replace the driver's side wheel-hub assembly. I have the part, I just haven't put it in yet.
Has anyone else had this problem? May it just be the hub assembly? Or does it sound more of a problem with the Diff?

Lastly, it's more annoying then just being a problem (yet), but I have a leak somewhere, and I can't find where it is coming from. I check the basic fluids (coolant, steering, oil, trans) regularly, and there's no visible signs of a leak. the leak is on the passenger's side of the Jeep and is yellow in color, but no distinguishing smell to it.
Are there any "common" leaks in the 5.2L ZJ's? Ideas on troubleshooting?

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future, but it's a Jeep.... I doubt they'll be any soon.

91Jeepdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Problem 1 could it be like its still trying to run if thats the case id say timing
Problem 2 could be the viscus coupler.
Unread 03-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
LowBudgetZJ
1998 ZJ 

Cannot help you with first 2 but maybe the last. I pulled my window washer fluid reservoir the other day when replacing my shocks. Then I set it up on the fender and jacked up the driver side I noticed a puddle of green fluid behind front passenger tire. I freaked out thinking it was anti freeze but no smell and then noticed my window washer fluid tank was nearly empty.

There must be an overflow or pressure relief on the passenger side????? Hopefully that is the source of your leak. BTW no leak before or after I reinstalled the tank and fluid to all three nozzles.
Unread 04-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Your second problem sounds similar to mine. When I try to make a sharp-ish turn, my Jeep has a lot of trouble doing it. It bounces, is loud as hell, and needs more gas to keep moving. If that's the case for you, it's the viscous coupler. I just kinda deal with it, and plan on swapping in a 242 or 231 when I get the chance and money to.
Unread 04-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
RemingtonRifles
1998 ZJ 

the second problem is the viscus coupler mine is out and i just deal with it.
RemingtonRifles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just take out the front drive shaft until it gets fixed.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Just take out the front drive shaft until it gets fixed.
Can you do that with a 249? I've read both ways.
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Safe to do on post-96, not safe on pre-96 (will roll in park and overstress the VC)
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2014, 04:50 AM   #9
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
Safe to do on post-96, not safe on pre-96 (will roll in park and overstress the VC)
Awesome! I've got a 98 GC and the VC is done for. This'll let me wait till fall to do the swap.

Tags
help needed , leaking fluid , problems , steer stop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.