JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   problems with 1997 grand cherokee (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/problems-1997-grand-cherokee-19992/)

DTADRIAN 10-02-2002 10:47 AM

problems with 1997 grand cherokee

ok I am obviously new to this messege board. This questions is to help my sister who owns the truck. The problem is that in the mornings the jeep runs like crap. It stalls on her while she is driving and sometimes at traffic lights. when it turns off sometimes it starts up fine and sometimes it doenst start at all for about 10 min. When its warm none of this happens. she had a full tune up done including cap,rotor plugs and wires. she had the Air flow meter changed, fuel pump and filter changed. she has spent so much money with mechanics and they cant figure out the problem. she has also taken it to the dealer and they dont know. I am thinking it might be some stupid sensor or the intake might have a leak and letting unmetered air and causing it to run extreamly rich and stalling. then when the engine warms up and causes stuff to expand and seals the leak. Help me fix this problem. I hope someone has experienced this and can lead me to the right direction. by the way it a 4x2 auto with the I-6 4.0L

Thank you,
Adrian

DTADRIAN 10-02-2002 01:37 PM

anyone? please

ALS59LTD 10-03-2002 01:01 PM

Check the oxygen sensors. that could cause it to run rich when cold. also I had a similar problem with a truck I had. The problem was the ignition coil, that's also worth a look. one last thought would be the catalytic converter. hope you find the problem.

gcl97 10-03-2002 01:14 PM

problems with 1997 grand cherokee

Was "Check Engine" light ON?
If yes -- what is the code?
If the code is 21 --- then change O2 sensor, take it to the dealer, they will update the software of the computer too.
Just had mine done, $200 - $250 (labor & part).

DTADRIAN 10-09-2002 10:46 AM

UPDATE

ok I have checked almost everything. I just want to update on how this jeep just shuts off. it dies in a heartbeat. So i checked the relay witht he fuel pump and I disconnected it while running, it stumbed to death, now I reconnected it and and started it right back up.. now i took out the relay for the ignition and it died in a heartbeat.. so that leads me to believe that its an ignition problem on this jeep. now do you think it has anything to do with the crank angle sensor or it needs a new distributer?

98ZJ5.9 10-11-2002 07:24 PM

I had somewhat similar problems with a Blazer, after having it six weeks at a dealer. Replacing the crank sensor and many other things. The mechanic logged over fifty hours, just imagine the bill. The problem was only when the vehicle was cold, so they tried something, test drove it, then had to wait for it to cool. The problem they finally found was a bad ground. The blazer has a couple of grounds. I'm not sure how the fix worked long term. I sold it in a week after I got it back. Good luck.

DTADRIAN 10-12-2002 01:17 PM

yeaha friend mentioned about a bad ground, then he also told me about the accual key ignition that on mustangs they have a problem with the ignition contacts waring down to the point that when moved alittle it would shut the car off. so the way to test it was to turn the car on and move the key slowly to see if thats the problem. Thanks for your help.
Also if you get anymore suggestions let me know

mn95jeep 10-16-2002 02:03 PM

same problem!

i have the same problem starting as of today....last night was the first major freeze ....my 5.2 L 95 jeep grand decided to stall about 10 minutes after running and continued to stall after starting...my idle seems lower today...have you gotten your 97 jeep running consistently?

The time now is 12:57 AM.