Problem swaping input shaft np249 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Problem swaping input shaft np249

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Reply
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Benni81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Drammen, Norway
Posts: 5
Problem swaping input shaft np249

Hi

In from norway, so excuse my english writing

I have a -95.mod 5,2 v8 ZJ. And the transfercase broke down. So i by a used transfercase, from a -93.mod 4l. So i had to change the input shaft.
But the case i by have early gear cut and mine late gear cut.

So my question is what du i have to change so i can use the new case?
Do i have to change the front case or can i just change some parts??

Thank you for answers

Benni81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Jeg håper dette er det samme språket, haha. Hva er min forståelse er at du blir nødt til å bytte fronten tilfelle av 242 (L6) i 249 (V8). Er jeg riktig å anta at du har en 242 eller en 231 og en 249 ikke sant? Kort sagt å svare på spørsmålet ditt, må du endre innvendige av 249 ut og bruke de 242 innvendige med fronten tilfelle av det.

Jeg kunne muligens ha den bakover, la meg dobbeltsjekke?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is the same language, haha. What is my understanding is you will have to swap the front case of the 242(L6) into the 249(V8). Am I correct to assume that you have a 242 or a 231 and a 249 right? In short to answer your question, you will have to change the internals of the 249 out and use the 242 internals with the front case of it. I could possibly have it backwards, let me double check?
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Benni81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Drammen, Norway
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ4x4LIFE View Post
Jeg håper dette er det samme språket, haha. Hva er min forståelse er at du blir nødt til å bytte fronten tilfelle av 242 (L6) i 249 (V8). Er jeg riktig å anta at du har en 242 eller en 231 og en 249 ikke sant? Kort sagt å svare på spørsmålet ditt, må du endre innvendige av 249 ut og bruke de 242 innvendige med fronten tilfelle av det.

Jeg kunne muligens ha den bakover, la meg dobbeltsjekke?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is the same language, haha. What is my understanding is you will have to swap the front case of the 242(L6) into the 249(V8). Am I correct to assume that you have a 242 or a 231 and a 249 right? In short to answer your question, you will have to change the internals of the 249 out and use the 242 internals with the front case of it. I could possibly have it backwards, let me double check?

Hehe its same language

Both cases are 249. But the one is from a GC whit the L6, and mine is frome a v8. And they have differiend input shaft, and differiend gear cut
Benni81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
WJ4x4LIFE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni81 View Post
Hehe its same language

Both cases are 249. But the one is from a GC whit the L6, and mine is frome a v8. And they have differiend input shaft, and differiend gear cut
Jeg så ta tilbake det siste innlegget og ha søk etter det som ser ut som du må knekke saken og bytte gear. Litt verre enn det høres ut, men ingen rakett vitenskap involvert. Hvis du må bytte da i tillegg til skiftenøkler du trenger gode snap-ring tang (hullete og flat - spre 1 til 1,25 ").. Et andre par hender er også svært nyttig Linken nedenfor viser en langt flott write -up og bilder på toppen for å hjelpe med eventuelle visuelle problemer.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...-np242-685644/

I then take back the last post and have search for what looks like you have to crack the case and swap the gear. Slightly worse than it sounds but no rocket science involved. If you have to swap then in addition to wrenches you'll need good snap-ring pliers (holed and flat - spread 1 to 1.25"). A 2nd pair of hands is also very helpful. The link below shows a by far great write-up and pictures on top to help with any visual issues.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
OverlandZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bristol, Pa
Posts: 930
Use the 249 front case half and input assembly that was original to your Jeep.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Benni81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Drammen, Norway
Posts: 5
Ok, thank you guys. Then i try again. First i try just to change the input baering, but that didnt work. So then i will use the front cover and the input assembly from the original case. Tnx
Benni81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
OverlandZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bristol, Pa
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni81 View Post
Ok, thank you guys. Then i try again. First i try just to change the input baering, but that didnt work. So then i will use the front cover and the input assembly from the original case. Tnx
Correct, keep the original input gear and the original case half together. Those will have matching gear cut's..

To be clear, your using the case half closest to the transmission. With the original gear inside and the original input gear to that 249.

If you look closely at the gears, you'll see where they differ. One set will have a flat on end, where the other will have more taper. You don't want to mix these.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
Benni81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Drammen, Norway
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
Correct, keep the original input gear and the original case half together. Those will have matching gear cut's.. To be clear, your using the case half closest to the transmission. With the original gear inside and the original input gear to that 249. If you look closely at the gears, you'll see where they differ. One set will have a flat on end, where the other will have more taper. You don't want to mix these.
Ok, so i dont need to use the mainshaft and differensial assembly from my original case i hope? Cous i think that part is damage
Benni81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.