Problem with ABS motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Problem with ABS motor

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Problem with ABS motor

When I bought my 96 Jeep I called the previous owner and asked him the basic questions about anything major with the Jeep. All he said was he unhooked the ABS. I didn't really ask why, but tonight I think I found out. I hooked it back up (he unplugged the connector by the ABS electric motor) after I talked to him. Tonight when I got home I heard something running in the engine compartment. I popped the hood and it was the electric motor hooked to the ABS. I tried starting the Jeep and hitting the brakes several times and nothing stopped it. So after about 5 minutes of messing with it I unplugged the harness by the motor and it stopped. The brakes still work fine, but the ABS light is on all the time. When I had it hooked up I could feel the ABS pulsating when I was just about stopped, never bad enough to cause any concern though. The light did come on occasionally when everything was hooked up too. I figured it has a bad wheel sensor somewhere. But I have no idea why that motor would stay running after the Jeep is off. Any ideas anyone?

Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

If it was a bad wheel speed sensor I think it would only come on when you stoped. Since the ABS is coming on when the jeep is off I am thinking you either have an electrical short or need a new ABS computer.

edit: In 93-95 the ABS computer is next to the air filter, I don't know where it is at in 96 though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Wonder how much those things run..... That would make sense that a bad computer would make it run while the vehicle is off.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.