Problem with ABS motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Problem with ABS motor

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Problem with ABS motor

When I bought my 96 Jeep I called the previous owner and asked him the basic questions about anything major with the Jeep. All he said was he unhooked the ABS. I didn't really ask why, but tonight I think I found out. I hooked it back up (he unplugged the connector by the ABS electric motor) after I talked to him. Tonight when I got home I heard something running in the engine compartment. I popped the hood and it was the electric motor hooked to the ABS. I tried starting the Jeep and hitting the brakes several times and nothing stopped it. So after about 5 minutes of messing with it I unplugged the harness by the motor and it stopped. The brakes still work fine, but the ABS light is on all the time. When I had it hooked up I could feel the ABS pulsating when I was just about stopped, never bad enough to cause any concern though. The light did come on occasionally when everything was hooked up too. I figured it has a bad wheel sensor somewhere. But I have no idea why that motor would stay running after the Jeep is off. Any ideas anyone?

Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

If it was a bad wheel speed sensor I think it would only come on when you stoped. Since the ABS is coming on when the jeep is off I am thinking you either have an electrical short or need a new ABS computer.

edit: In 93-95 the ABS computer is next to the air filter, I don't know where it is at in 96 though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Wonder how much those things run..... That would make sense that a bad computer would make it run while the vehicle is off.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.