Probably a newbie question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Probably a newbie question...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
MaterialHandler
1993 ZJ 

Probably a newbie question...

I have a 1993 Grand Wagoneer. It seems to be the exact same thing as a Grand Cherokee from that year or a year later. Parts and everything. It's a 5.2L V8 all time 4 wheel drive. Basically what do I have? A Wagoneer or a Grand Cherokee? It runs great, drips a little bit of oil but the previous owner sold it to me cheep because of the infamous "Death Wobble". I've only got the wobble about 3 times and it felt like the wheels were about to fly off the damn thing. Scared the crap out of me at about 60mph..Well, any info from experienced Jeep owners would be great. Since it runs so good I plan on keeping it for a while and fixing her up a bit...thanks.

MaterialHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
jeep93GCL
1993 ZJ 

Check your suspension most likely your track bar and ball joint and control arm bushing I got death wobble to fix the ball joint it stop a bit but it coming back to hunt me I notice track bar has some play
jeep93GCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
MaterialHandler
1993 ZJ 

I'm thinking mine is mainly the ball joint on the right side. I can feel it coming from there. Had it on a lift when I bought it and the track bar looked ok but i didn't pay much attention to it because I'm not to familiar with Jeeps..The ball joint had some wiggle to it though. Gonna get this fixed next week and see what happens. Thank you for your input!
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
jeep93GCL
1993 ZJ 

No problem make sure you replace both ball joint from each side it will be better
jeep93GCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
MaterialHandler
1993 ZJ 

Definitely, I used to work in a garage and I have them do all my work. I'll do minor things like brakes and tune ups but when it comes to suspension or anything major I let them deal with it. Can't wait to get rid of that wobble. Love my old/new Jeep lol
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You have exactly what you said and it's a 93 Grand Wagoneer. As can be seen below it's unique to 93 only and has all the luxury options of a Grand Cherokee Limited but called by it's own model. Is your's a woody? Nice if so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Gr...eer_.281993.29

You can do an advanced search for "Death Wobble" and there's plenty of threads in the ZJ forum. Click on arrow left of search box, find "Grand Cherokee Technical Forum" double click, hit "Go" at the bottom, then "OK" as saved, then enter "Death Wobble" in top left box.

Yeah, loose/worn track bar can be one of the main culprits as well as other suspension parts. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
MaterialHandler
1993 ZJ 

Yes it is a woody! Lol But sorry to say I hate the fake wood look. Always have! Just a personal preference I guess. Me and a buddy are going to flat black it as soon as it warms up here. I LOVE the jeep though. Got a few things I wanna fix on it but like I said it runs great. My girl thinks I'm crazy for wanting to do anything with it other than drive it to work but the 318 is one of the best motors ever and this one just needs a little love. I had one in a Chrysler 5th avenue I used to have and that thing ran great even when I scrapped it. Kind of wish I would of taken the motor out before I did now but I was young and didn't appreciate stuff like that as much as I do now. I appreciate your input! Thank you for the references I'm gonna take a look and learn a little bit more.
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

YW and real wood always looks better! LOL. Below is a link to Chrysler/Jeep and send them an email with the last digests of your VIN. In the "Reason for Contact" box enter in "Request Build Sheet". Within 1-2 days they'll email you your build sheet so you know exactly what you have on it from the factory.

http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U

Below is one of the many threads on death wobble problems. Good luck!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...lease-1468232/

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
MaterialHandler
1993 ZJ 

Broke the cv shaft on the drivers side the other day and got it replaced, thought this might of been my whobble cuz after it broke driving it home the whobble showed up at 35mph and wouldn't go away, had to pretty much crawl home. It wasn't the cause though because after I replaced it it was still there off and on. Everything looks fine, track bar is tight, all other steering and suspension parts are tight, only thing I can think it might be is the lower control arms and bushings because they look pretty shot and have some movement when I get under it and push on them. Is this possible?
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Go to Mopar Connect and set up an account. Once you put in your VIN you will have access to all the info that would be on your build sheet. Plus you can check for any recalls and see if it has been to a dealer for service, and what it was there for.
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
MaterialHandler
1993 ZJ 

The lower control arm and bushings are shot to hell on the passenger side and have a little play in them when i move them with my hand could this at all be what could be causing my DW? ALSO the hillbilly who owned it before me for some reason seems to have a larger spring on that side. it doesn't sit on the axle straight it kind of bows out facing the rear. Why in the world would somebody do this smh
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterialHandler View Post
The lower control arm and bushings are shot to hell on the passenger side and have a little play in them when i move them with my hand could this at all be what could be causing my DW? ALSO the hillbilly who owned it before me for some reason seems to have a larger spring on that side. it doesn't sit on the axle straight it kind of bows out facing the rear. Why in the world would somebody do this smh
If your control arm bushings have that much play then that could definitely be the cause of your death wobble.

Are you sure the spring isn't just not seated properly? It should fit into the spring retainer (a bracket on a 13mm bolt that goes over the spring) and also be tight against the stop on the bottom seat. If that looks OK look at the top - how does your insulator look (rubber piece at the top of the spring)? In my new jeep mine is bad so it's causing the spring to sit kind of crooked. On the list of things to fix...
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
MaterialHandler
1993 ZJ 

Yeah the insulator is pretty rough looking also, and I'm not sure about the spring, it just looks to big to me. Doesn't matter, gonna get brand new springs and insulators for both sides as well as control arms and I hope this solves my problem, the wobble is terrible and extremely annoying...not gonna be til next week though...
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
MaterialHandler
1993 ZJ 

should there also be an isolator on the bottom of the springs? mine has none but when I look to order a set they come in a set of 4
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
MaterialHandler
1993 ZJ 

ALSO just seen there is NO sway bar in the front, he must of took that off too but why the hell would someone do that?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.