Prepping a 5.9 for a cross country trip and 3 months in Seattle... then a trip back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Prepping a 5.9 for a cross country trip and 3 months in Seattle... then a trip back

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

Prepping a 5.9 for a cross country trip and 3 months in Seattle... then a trip back

Hey everyone. New to the forum, helping out a friend who is moving from the North East to the North West and I'm basically acting as the interim mechanic. I'm a car guy and have worked on many vehicles, but more importantly...I never give up...
The 5.9 has been taken care of well and is just shy of 200k miles. Has the common issues - the zj common problems thread is awesome BTW - and I'm going to tackle the parasitic drain and VIC problems first. Fingers crossed for it being a rear hatch switch rather than entire bcm. The VIC I'll see when I get my hands on the beast, but until then its all planning and preparing.
Wanted to reach out to the forum for any tips or advice. If it helps the 5.9 will be in the northern jersey area if anyone has recs on work that can't or shouldn't do myself and knows any shops etc.
Its essentially bone stock but has the front axle removed after some issues with the VC I assume.
Wanted to start this thread so I could keep one place for the work I have to ask you guys about .
Hoping I'll be able to get some good advice. And anyone who can save me from any nightmares gets a beer of the month club trial!

Cheers

charsawbis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Do the plenum fix if you haven't already. I would look at getting the vc fixed and the front DS installed, even on dry pavement AWD is a huge difference. Mileage hit won't be bad, but not having awd or 4wd when you need it sucks.

Check sway bar bushings and front CA's, the front CA's are a big cause of death wobble.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

Death wobble...dealt with that on an Explorer...huge pain but you are right and I'll check it out.
Was the plenum covered on the common problems thread? Share link if you can.
Thanks for the feedback I knew you guys would come in clutch...
I'll keep the community posted on progress...and problems...
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/p...-kits-1379306/

It's a problem with the basic design of the engine. Aluminum and steel expanding at different rates. The 318 and the 360 (5.2 an 5.9) are pretty interchangeable and need the same fix.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

Sweet thanks for the heads up...

Last edited by charsawbis; 04-25-2013 at 06:55 AM..
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

Anyone know if the rear hatch and window lift supports from autozone are any good? Brand named mighty lift.
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

I have em in mine and there still going after a year. Well i did have to warranty one because a weld broke where it mounts.

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would look at replacing all control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, tune up, all fluids change, shocks, steering components if they are old and worn, check brakes and tires, ect. I would seriously consider doing the plenum repair for a drive like that. Not only will it help the mpg and power but it will save a lot of wear and tear on the motor from all that oil being burned.

Where in the NW are you relocating too?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

I would look into installing a trans-cooler for any long distance travelling. The 46re didn't come with one from the factory when it really should have.
LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoona View Post
I would look into installing a trans-cooler for any long distance travelling. The 46re didn't come with one from the factory when it really should have.
Yea a trans cooler is a must.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

a "AAA" policy
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

But with the AAA policy, don't get it til you need it. Do get their 800 number and put it in your phone...

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

I'll try to get as much as is needed done. Have only two weeks left and not too much time unfortunately. As I have been inspecting the car, it has thrown no codes, except for one for the IAC and that was in the log before I got it. I was planning on replacing that already when cleaning the throttle body. The car idles fine and doesn't stall, but read it is a simple thing to clean and good to do.
I bled the air out of the power steering and much of the slop is gone now.
There are no perceptible leaks that I can find.
I will look into the plenum. How long of a job is it and can I grab the parts at Autozone?
The power drain is minimal and I have traced it to the rear hatch switch.
Anyone have a link to removing that? Basically the light randomly decides to work when you open the gate. I'll try to fix that tonight when I replace the lift supports.
Thanks again for all the advice. T minus 12 days till we take off.
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

NVM about the link for plenum was posted already.
Thanks again kg6mov!
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...2018_2695_2735

That any good?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.