Preparing my WJ for a long haul... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Preparing my WJ for a long haul...

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doorsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 03-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Preparing my WJ for a long haul...

So I will be moving halfway across the continent (California to Texas).
I was planning to rent the largest (6x12) uhaul trailer and tow it behind the jeep since we don't have that much stuff that needs to come.

I have a 99 WJ 4.6 with tow package, what do I need to do to prepare it for such a long haul?, other than change the oil and transmission fluid?
Coolant flush maybe?

LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
7thStranger

Replace the rear diff fluid.
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

I would make sure you have great brakes LEDfoot

Ever check your rear differentail fluid? sythetic would be ideal...

Have you ever pulled? Might want to drive around town for a little bit to get used to it.

get some snacks

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Oh and I'm pretty sure you do not want to exceed 64sqr ft of frontal area on the trailer (8x8) ... might want to check it out.

(I'm banking on the fact that it is 12ft long... not 12ft high or 12ft wide....)

Unread 03-03-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Lol I will make sure my brakes are good, thank you for your concern . Actually leadfooting is mostly a problem in my other car so it should be allright.

Good call on the rear diff fluid, I will make sure I change it to something synthetic.

Yeah the uhaul trailer is 6ft wide and 12ft long (and 5.5 ft high I think), single axel so there should be no problem. I have been trying to find a 7x16 dual axel trailer but noone rents them, at least not for a cross country move.

I have pulled some before, I'm no expert but I'm comfortable with it. I never pulled with the jeep before and never so far.
Unread 03-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

6ft by 5.5ft will be fine.

For the Synthetic, just go to Napa (or equivalent) and ask for synthetic rear diff fluid for your Jeep and tell them that you pull, they should know what to do.

Well since you will be doing mostly highway, once you are on there you will be golden, sometimes around town or parking lots are interesting.

I'm sure you will be fin in the Jeep, I've pulled with an XJ many times and it handles well. I can only imagine that a WJ will do better!

Good luck!!

Unread 03-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
Myrtle Beach

synthetic 75-140 is factory recommended

[URL=http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTcxOTAxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg]MY JEEP[/URL]
Myrtle Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #8
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I have a 99 WJ 4.6 with tow package

I'm guessing you have the 4.7 instead.

If pulling a trailer is a new experience, you'll have a fairly steep learning curve, turning radius, acceleration, braking distance and the such. Just be cautious and you'll be fine.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
I have a 99 WJ 4.6 with tow package

I'm guessing you have the 4.7 instead.

If pulling a trailer is a new experience, you'll have a fairly steep learning curve, turning radius, acceleration, braking distance and the such. Just be cautious and you'll be fine.

Hunter

Whooops you are correct of course, I'm a *******

The actuall pulling shouldn't be that big of a problem, I have towed before, just not in the jeep (actually in much smaller less powerful cars). At least I have a few hundred miles of familiar train to get used to it before I go off into the unknown.

I just want to make sure my jeep is up to it, it's a bit of a drive and I've heard stories about WJs overheating while towing. Luckily it's not in the middle of August so I think it should be allright.
Unread 03-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
oilcounter

Be careful with I-10 and we'll see you in Texas!

Don't use the rest stops; they are homo hangouts : )
Metallic Taupe Jeep Club Member #15
oilcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 08:58 PM   #11
Animal Mother

Can i ask why your coming to this oh so great state?
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:49 AM   #12
bloodspilla

I just did the same exact thing with the same trailer from Arizona to Washington! I was loaded heavy! The jeep did great. Pulled the passes nicely as long as I was going around 70 when starting up grades. Downhill was a bit trickier, anything over 65 and she would start to sway. Overdrive off up and down steep grades, inflate your tires to near max psi for less resistance. You should be fine. Good luck man.. been there.
bloodspilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 07:22 AM   #13
dryanwilson
2012 KK Liberty 

Good luck with your move! Where in TX?
dryanwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #14
2Grand4s

Towing ? Learn to turn off the overdrive !

The Jeep will need help up and down grades. Don't make the tranny work harder than it should. A lot of people unfamiliar with towing never shut-off the overdrive when it is appropriate, watch the tach and listen to the engine instead of the stereo till you get the hang of it ! The transmission is already hooked into a cooler to keep the fluid from burning up but check its color each time you gas up to see that the nice bright red hasn't turned to crappy brown, a sure sign of trouble ahead. Synthetic Transmission fluid is also a good idea. Amsoil makes it for Chryslers, and I am told Red line does as well.

Last thought, the front end should not resemble a jet about to lift off the runway once the trailer is loaded. and be sure to check the tires for bald spots and air pressure, this is when the OK tire stops being OK ! Don't forget to check the U-Haul tires when they give the trailer to you, expect the California rental guy not to care when the tire blows in Arizona.

Enjoy !

205,000 miles on the '94, 2500 Miles on the '04
2Grand4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

I'm moving to the DFW area (I'm not sure exactly where to yet, somewhere within a ~30 minute commute from Irving). Because we started looking for a house here in California and can't find anything half-decent for under $400k so I started looking for work elsewhere and within 2 days I found one with much better pay in Irving.

By the way, any good trails around there, I didn't have time to see much while I was there.

Thanks for all the tips and advice, I feel pretty confident both mee and the jeep will be able to handle this ok.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.